Gas supply

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, my mate has bought a flat which has a gas boiler and hob.
There's also a meter.
He's contacted British Gas who said there is no record of it having a gas supply.
They suggested having the meter removed and cadent coming to see if it's got gas.
Mentioned something about getting it capped too ?

Does anyone have any experience of this please ?
Is there some way we can tell if the gas supply is live ?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Get a Gas Safe installer to come and check. Could be one of those rare properties which has a live supply but isn't documented. I've never come across one but I've heard that they exist. It would of course be very bad if you to carry on using it without telling anyone :whistle::censored:

Same as have a client whose meter was not recording the usage, he called it in and meter was replaced :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Get a Gas Safe installer to come and check. Could be one of those rare properties which has a live supply but isn't documented. I've never come across one but I've heard that they exist. It would of course be very bad if you to carry on using it without telling anyone :whistle::censored:

Came across two that I can think off. The first many years ago was a house in the middle of nowhere beside a railway line - presumably originally a railman's home. The occupants told me they have never had a gas bill, as BG insist they don't have a gas supply. I was there, employed by the old BG to fit a cooker that they had bought from the BG showroom.!

Sponsored Links
This flat- is it a house that's been newly subdivided? If so, best get an RGI to have a shufti- it may be that whoever did the dividing just threw a load of 22mm from the original single house supply. You can buy meters from eBay....see if the meter has an MPRN on it (or is it MPAN for gas, always forget which is which)...

Was it an ex-railway property ? In days gone by some of those did have a private un-metered gas supply from a nearby station, signal box or other railway building. The railway company paid a single bill for all the places they supplied.

I assumed it was, TBH, purely because of the location. Did not know about the unmetered supply angle, though

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back