Gas tap - is this safe / legal?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

We are having to move the kitchen wall forward by 90mm to get rid of a dog-leg. We are doing this by attaching 75mm studs & noggins and 12mm plasterboard.

The gas tap currently supplies a free-standing gas cooker. When the new kitchen goes in it will just supply a gas hob. Existing pipe will reach. The issue is that the tap itself will be set back into the stud wall once complete (although not completely enclosed. See photos.

Imagine that the cardboard is where the plaster board will be. My question is whether this arrangement is safe, or even legal? If not, are there are suggestions on how to remedy the situation without having to move the gas tap itself? The whole area will be behind kitchen units anyway. One possibility would be just to run the plasterboard down to worktop level.

Thanks in advance guys!

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
I cannot see any harm in that, its got plenty of room on either side and open in the front so access to the bayonet isnt a problem

:)

Providing you leave the pipework exposed and not boxed in behind the plasterboard then no problem...the hose will be dispensed with and the connection to the hob will be run in copper with an isolation valve. Make sure the plasterboard around the existing pipework is sealed to prevent any ingress of gas (if a leak should occur).

If you wanted to, you could use something like electrical trunking. this is available in steel (or plastic which is not so strong), it is like rectangular channel with a screw-on cover.

the cover could be painted to blend in, but an advantage of leaving it visible is that people are less likely to drill or nail into it.

Providing you leave the pipework exposed and not boxed in behind the plasterboard then no problem...the hose will be dispensed with and the connection to the hob will be run in copper with an isolation valve. Make sure the plasterboard around the existing pipework is sealed to prevent any ingress of gas (if a leak should occur).

Thanks.

Would copper pipe need first-fixing before the units go in? I had assumed we'd just use the existing hose, and get a CORGI fitter to connect it up.

well that will teach me to read a thread and not just form a conclusion by looking at a pic :eek:

thinks to self that cardboard :confused:
read responses talk of stud, thats not plaster board :confused:
go back to pic, copy pic, blow up pic :confused: it is card board :confused:
read post you said it was card board :oops:

anyway thats fine, it is fixed to the wall at the bayonet.
dont box it in it needs to be vented top and bottom if you do, you cannot bury gas services into stud wall period.

Provided you are installing a standard oven carcass (ie the back is completely open) and the unit is in front of the existing pipework then call in a corgi after you have fitted the worktop and cut the hob opening. You need to have the oven ready to fit so the pipework can be fitted without fouling the back/top of the oven.

Sometimes customers make a total hash of the hob opening (ie the hob can't be secured 'cos the hole's on the pi**) making a new worktop necessary. May be worth asking if they have a decent jigsaw if yours is carp. I use a pro Bosch with the side blade clamps.

It's a double oven going into a tall housing. Hob will be 300 mm away, and there's a 300mm base unit in between the oven housing and the unit the hob will be in. Hence I'm thinking the copper pipe might need positioning before units go into place.

If your corgi hasn't enough 'elbow room' to remove the bayonet fitting from the end of the fixed pipe he might start inventing a few new words. Possibly make your cutout more of a ____/----\___ shape in plan view rather than a __|---|__ shape?

If you have many other services to run behind the units a nice big accessible services void may be an advantage

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back