gas turned off - unable to restart central heating

Whilst in the garage yesterday, my little boy turned off the gas supply to the heating boiler

You need tools and work inside the boiler to be able to do that :eek:

Sponsored Links
Not always - in my previous house, the gas cock and meter were in the garage, and a lever handle was left permanently in case to be operated in case of emergency.

Operating that lever shut off the gas supply to all gas appliances in the property, including the gas boiler, and it did it in a completely safe manner.

Fair comment but the poster said the boiler, not the meter or the house.

He has singled out an appliance that needs tools to turn the gas off, that means the child has his hands inside the boiler.

You may be right, would you take the chance. :?:

It could also be why it will not light the main burner if he's pulled the wiring harness.

Sponsored Links
I can't believe that an innocent question has caused so much trouble - I apologise to all of you who have taken your valuable time to answer it. (or argue about it in some cases).
The facts are that he just turned off the shut off lever - no tools were near him. I trust that the people who were judgmental have never had an inquisitive child or if they did, never allowed them beyond the perimeters of a playpen.
Just to let you all know, the system is now up and running - if anyone remembers the original question. All I did was turn everything completely off and on again a couple of times and it fired up. No animals or children were harmed in the making of this.

You have to realise that some of these people love a good old argument ( discussion ).

In this case the situation was exacerbated by a new visitor who I had invited to give advice on his speciality of low loss headers. When he saw all the opportunities to add extra imputs the others all responded ( negatively ) as usual.

Glad that your system has purged itself and is now operating fine.

Tony

Don't worry dawson :oops: What you posted sounded dangerous. As a Health and Safety Supervisor at work I will pick up on anything that puts lives at risk :LOL:

In my opinion your post did that.

If others disagree tough. :eek:

dawson said:
I can't believe that an innocent question has caused so much trouble .

Believe it - it often resembles a local village amateur dramatic society around here. Go to electrics UK and tell them the lad has just finished wiring up the kitchen with a neon screwdriver. You'll see what I mean. lol

Agile said:
You have to realise that some of these people love a good old argument ( discussion ).
Some of us do; others just snipe, and then ignore questions that are put to them directly :rolleyes:

Right, plusses and minusses for a small boy turning off the gas.

Safety issues only.

I can only think of one minus....

1 Small boy turns gas off. Mummy and daddy annoyed as boiler wont reignite. Mummy and daddy do the responsible thing and phone a reputable CORGI man. Mummy and daddy tell small boy not to touch that lever again. Small boys pocket money stops for a few weeks.

and the plus....

Small boy goes away, pushes all the buttons in on his tele and realises the gas man charged 10 times what the tele man did...grows up....is a successful gas enginneer and buys an expensive holiday home in the costa ya an arm an a leg for mummy and daddy.

David

Thanks for that - you've made me feel much better. I can assure you that the television hasn't been turned on again yet - punishment indeed for a telly addict.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back