gas turned off - unable to restart central heating

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Whilst in the garage yesterday, my little boy turned off the gas supply to the heating boiler. We have a glow worm ultimate. We have got the pilot light lit but the heating won't come on. Help please!!!!!

Sponsored Links
I think you may be a tad confused.

What EXACTLY do you mean by 'pilot lit'? If you can see a (small) flame through the sight-glass on the boiler, then the main burner should light automatically within a few seconds. If the boiler fan is running AND you can see blue flames through the sight glass- the boiler is probably running normally.

I am really confused.
a small flame can be seen through the glass. But it doesn't change to a main flame when the heating is switched on. I am going to try once again to find the instruction manual - thanks for replying.

I would be more concern about my little boy playing with live appliances including the gas meter whatever the case maybe.

Completely irresponsible :( :(

Sponsored Links
Before you blow yourself up he's probably pulled the wiring harness out

If the fan's running and the pilot is on, then there's nothing more you can do legally.
Call a registered gas fitter.

maybe just that u need to turn the gas valve button around to flame.thats if its the earlier ultimate.

fitz1 said:
maybe just that u need to turn the gas valve button around to flame.thats if its the earlier ultimate.

As far as I can remember they didn't have a flame on the botton.

On the older FF & CF models you turned the control knob fully anti clockwise and lit the pilot, once the flame was established you turn the control knob up and away she blew.

Don't know which model CF I think had a flue blockage device fitted, perhaps the boy stuff an ARGI T shirt up the flue.

are you sure it has a permanent pilot?

I used to have one (it was cack), and when I stopped the gas and mains, I would just switch it back on and as soon as demand was requested the whole caboodle would come on together.

In fact I seem to recall it clicking which would suggest it may not have had a permanent pilot? could be wrong though

Yes lorraine the older FF & CF models had a permanent pilot, whereas the electronic models Had a pilot which established before the main burners came on.

In this case if the little boy was playing around inside with a screwdriver/spanner he could have simply dis-lodged the wiring harness.

To re-light them you had to turn the control knob fully anti clockwise which re-set the valve, after the pilot is established you turn the control knob back and with a call for heat it would fire up.

Add a bit on the bottom john, :LOL:

The CF model also has a flue restriction sensor, not sure about other models though.

doitall said:
I would be more concern about my little boy playing with live appliances including the gas meter whatever the case maybe.

What a ridiculous post :rolleyes:

There are no gas supply or boiler controls that are dangerous for a small boy to operate. Regretful? Certainly. Irresponsible? Not in the least.

Softus said:
doitall said:

What a ridiculous post :rolleyes:

There are no gas supply or boiler controls that are dangerous for a small boy to operate. Regretful? Certainly. Irresponsible? Not in the least.

He managed to turn the gas of softus :eek:

Now you obviously haven't look inside a boiler or you would know there are lots of bits that can kill a small child without even trying to hard.

So best to shut up and post what you know about.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back