Gas valve replacement cost

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
I am after a new gas valve fitting for my Ariston Eurocombi MFFi23 (pn: 63Ap7060/4) as its making a hell of a drilling noise and getting louder as time goes on so looking for a ball park of what an engineer is going to charge me + how long it will take.

I know there are variables like where the boiler is situated (in bathroom cupboard), etc but honestly just looking for a ball park figure so I know I am not being taken for a ride (which has happened before) and up to now the price differences im being quoted are huge!

Please don't shoot me down as I am not an expert and know no two jobs are the same.

Thanks for any help on this, its very much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Hi all,
I am after a new gas valve fitting for my Ariston Eurocombi MFFi23 (pn: 63Ap7060/4) as its making a hell of a drilling noise and getting louder as time goes on so looking for a ball park of what an engineer is going to charge me + how long it will take.

I know there are variables like where the boiler is situated (in bathroom cupboard), etc but honestly just looking for a ball park figure so I know I am not being taken for a ride (which has happened before) and up to now the price differences im being quoted are huge!

Please don't shoot me down as I am not an expert and know no two jobs are the same.

How do you know it is the gas valve?Have you had someone find the fault or are you just ringing people asking for quotes,who have not seen the job.Has someone had the joy of giving you a free diagnosis?

Hi all,

Time for a new boiler maybe...Appears it was making drilling sounds in Feb 2018 too!.

Sponsored Links
The main black safety solenoids can rattle on those gas valves but it would need a visit to confirm, the blue coil/main pcb could also cause the noise.
That SIT Tandem valve varies in price from around £130 to £200 depending on the merchant...so you if you add labour it could look somewhat expensive (the job involves more than replacing the gas valve...safety checks etc must be carried out too).

Bear in mind that you've got a very old boiler and those models are nearly always illegal installs and in a poor condition from lack of maintenance.
There may be other problems you are not aware of so it would need a visit to determine whether there's any point in throwing money at it.

However, they are simple to work on and by todays standard of manufacture pretty robust.

Thanks Gasguru.
Been quoted £2500 for an Ideal Logic C30 rerplacement (straight swap out apart from about a foot of 15mm gas pipe to boiler that needs replacing) according to engineers by 2 seperate companies (give or take £20).
I have had the front off and the noise is definately coming from the gas valve (which is right at the front in the middle so easy to determin the noise).
I have sourced the part for £99 inc vat + delivery. So would it cost more than £200 to fit and set up? How many hours would it take?
As to the other issues that might be there, I do appreciate that there may be more to this than the gas valve but I would rather pay £300ish to see if it fixes it (and if it doesn't then get a new boiler) rather than pay £2500 without finding out + there is enough waste in the world due to convenience rather than necessity. I always tell my son to recycle so I suppose I should practice what I preach.

Thanks again Gasguru for the constructive feedback, It is very much appreciated.(y)

durhamplumber: Why would I fit it myself....If I know what is wrong and know where to buy the part and was going to fit it myself why would I ask how much for an engineer to fit it? (surely I would be asking HOW to fit it). At what point in my thread did I say/ hint/ indicate that I was going to fit it myself?.............and NO nobody has given me free advice.

What is with the sarcasm in your threads?

I am asking for advice from what I would like to think are professionals in their field. This is obviously potentialy a very dangerious situation if done incorrectly and therefore I am asking for advice on the subject. If you don't have anything constructive to say then why get involved?

I have a young son in the room next to the boiler and want the job done correctly.

There may be other problems you are not aware of so it would need a visit to determine whether there's any point in throwing money at it.
As I said...have an engr look at it..Stay well away from All Ideal boilers.Engineers do not like fitting parts supplied by customers.Especially in the days of ebay etc,the valve could be any old crap..Why would any sensible engr fit and give you a warranty on a part he/she has no idea of its background.Anyone willing to fit customer supplied parts is either desperate or second rate or both.IMHO!

as its making a hell of a drilling noise
So 18month ago it was making drilling noises.Now doing same...Keeping a crap ideal boiler going spending hundreds of pounds is plain stupid.But hey it is your dosh

If you took the time to read the thread you will see its an Ariston boiler NOT an Ideal.
Please don't post if you don't take the time to read the facts first.
I'm sure there are lots of other forum members that could benefit from your vast knowledge. So please feel free to go and help those instead of posting in here......I won't be offended.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back