Gate hardware recommendations

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
looking to install a timber gate in between fence panels for access other than front door.
Looking for hardware recommendations. Ideally want some sort of keypad/key system to gain entry. Recommendations? Decent hinges too

Sponsored Links
Hook and band hinges will stand up to outdoor work, and when the gate sags (it will) you can slip a few stainless washers over the pins to level it. You are supposed to get hinges one-third the width of the gate. Galvanised ones last well if you give them a coat of paint before fitting. Fix them to the ledgers.

I have a Chubb 5-lever mortice lock in mine. The later ones have a 20mm bolt throw, which should be enough for any shrinkage in the woodwork. The levers and bolt are brass, springs are bronze, so no rust inside, and you fit keyhole covers to keep the rain out. Original Chubb keys are brass so will not rust if you conceal one in the garden. The older models have a very heavy steel case, you can give it an extra coat of paint if you want (especially if you get a second-hand one on ebay for a few pounds). You do need well-sized stiles of 44mm or thicker to use a mortice lock. Few good rimlocks are available, they need a longer key, and almost none are constructed to the same standard.

Main problem in movement in gates , winter to summer mine move by around 20mm so a lock with a long throw is required.

Sponsored Links
Great thanks for the good advice.

Thoughts on outdoor keypads? Do they wear?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back