Gate hinges in brick pier - how to remove?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've posted this in the Building section rather than the garden section, as it's the building crowd more likely to know an answer..

I want to remove 4 identical gates to take them away for shot blasting, but I cannot simply lift them off the hinge pins. Being front garden gates, they have what looks like a locking collar to stop them being lifted off/nicked.

I can't see any grub screw in them, so I assume they're internally threaded. I've got some pump pliers then mole grips onto them but can't unscrew them. Perhaps they're pressed on.

Ideally, I want to remove and replace therefore how do I get them off without having to deploy the angle grinder?

I can't find an equivalent product on a hardware site like this http://www.dciron.co.uk/hinges/?limit=all which is dashing

full

Nozzle

Sponsored Links
hacksaw off above the gate lug ,if you need to sucure again, weld a big nut on or neater solution a piece of tube.
edit.
weld suitable size one of these on each hinge

http://www.dciron.co.uk/gplc20/

Ref your edit... I do wonder if that's what is currently installed - a welded collar like the one in your link, rather than a grub screw.

Deploy the angle grinder!!!

^woody^ Hammerite is mostly gash, and doesn't get rid of rust.

Sponsored Links
Is it. Possible that they are just pressed on?
Heat the large part with a gas torch and try levering it up

Cut a slot in it vertically (as if you're trying to make it into a slotted head screw) all the way down til the grinder touches the gate part - if pressed on, it'll now lever apart/fall off and still leave you with a long stub that you can thread, or fit another collar to (perhaps through-drilling/fitting grub screw or pin, threading and fitting a nut, or even just bending the two fingers apart slightly to prevent the gate being lifted off opportunistically

Similar to http://www.gatelock.co.uk/?product=gatelock-x-6 and if so destructive removal is the only way. Then fit some new collars or caps on re-instatement.
Assumming (Dangerous I know!) the pin is the same diameter as the one below, grinding off the side of the cap until it is loose is what I would do.

In any event if you did manage to get it off without a grinder how secure do you think it would be going back on.

I seriously doubt the pin will be threaded.

Blagard,
Thanks for the link - it looks like one of those and I can well believe there would be need for such a unit here. I'll attack it with the angle grinder and I can either modify to re-use with a threaded fixing drilled though. Stops the casual miscreant, less so someone who wants to trade them in for scrap.

Nozzle

That Gatelock version has a chamfer on the bottom that minimises the risk of it being levered off, If you had a old ruined chisel yours might lift if driven into the gap because the bottom of the cap appears flat

I love how all the pictures on gatelock.co.uk are shots of gate hinges where anyone with an adjustable spanner could quickly undo a single nut and remove the gate, leaving the threaded stud part of the hinge securely gatelocked to the wall mount

I love how all the pictures on gatelock.co.uk are shots of gate hinges where anyone with an adjustable spanner could quickly undo a single nut and remove the gate, leaving the threaded stud part of the hinge securely gatelocked to the wall mount
Not if the the other side is locked , the gate has to be open to draw it off the threads or has enough distance between the post and gate latch end of the gate to slide it off.
litl

Pretty sure the number of times a gate will be open, or loose fitted enough, to allow that to happen is the 99% scenario.. especially when you consider that winding the other nut will helpfully force the gate off the threaded bar, combined with the gate's hinged side being made of box section and considerably easier to deform- I reckon that gate's a goner whether a gate lock is fitted or not!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back