Gate hits gas pipe to boiler - fail regs?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
If a gate will swing and hit the outdoor gas pipe supplying the boiler, would this be classed as unsafe and a failure of regs?
Thinking about when sell on the house.
IMG_20180622_074625751.jpg

Sponsored Links
I have often wondered when I see external gas pipes unprotected.

Easiest is a wooden block screwed to the wall to hit the gate first ( or even on the gate)

or run a length of timber along the pipe run that sits proud?

I'm trying to work out if I've got grounds for getting the installer to come back.
Could do with some opinions.

Otherwise, I'll work around it as you suggest.
I've also used those cheap round rubber door stops outside before.

Sponsored Links
OP: What options are there. Just get a stop of some kind.

Although a pipe at that height is a bit unusual, some would say low down will be a target for a wheelbarrow

The reason the pipe went up and over was to avoid the gate. Which they haven't done.
The wooden gate post is from the ground and so drilling through it would have left bigger problems when the gate post needed replacing.

Have contacted Gas Safe for advice...

I have paid nearly 2 grand labour for this installation :(

so they told you it was 2 grand or you worked it out ?
But installer should have discussed pipe route with you first , properly

Had a better look at the gate. You are worrying over nothing.

Unless you just don't like the pipe where it is? ;)

You say up and over. Do you mean up, over and back down again?

In my opinion it does, but I have no experience in this area.
It's one thing to work around a gate if there was no other option.
The change would be to carry on and come down in between the extractor fan and boiler flue.
IMG_20180625_102914382.jpg
Horizontal length of pipe here is 150cm.

If they'd run the gas pipe indoors and a door could bang into it this would never be accepted.

The change would be to carry on and come down in between the extractor fan and boiler flue.
View attachment 143815

If they'd run the gas pipe indoors and a door could bang into it this would never be accepted.

I'm which case a door stop would be the answer.
The pipe will not get damaged by the gate.
It may well.not be the tidiest route though.

View attachment 143815

In my opinion, it would take a great deal of effort, determination and perseverance in order for that gate to cause significant damage, if any, to the gas pipe, as such i feel the installer has carried out the install with due regard to regulation 18, my personal bit would have been to carry on at high level dropping down before the flue.

Now the real question is, do you want it moving because you don't like how it looks, or is it a stall tactic for paying the bill?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back