Hit gas pipe with chisel

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have been tiling my bathroom floor today, all going well made sure where all the pipes was under the floor with pipe detector before screwing ply down. When tiling I cut a tile to go butt up to the wall but it was a mil out so as the walls are plasterboard I decided to knock a little out the bottom so the tile would sit in. well I hit a gas pipe. Right behind the toilet and right on the floor just in the wall this pipe was. Stupid place I thought. I have done quite a bit of plumbing and I am ok at it. I know the ideal solution would be cut the pipe out and solder a new piece in but the place where it is in is a nightmare to get at. What my question is are you aloud to solder repair over a little hole on a gas pipe ?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
If you ask a question like that, you need to leave well alone and call out a registered gas installer.

Regards
Dan

It was just a question I knew the answer was most likely no but I was just 100 percent checking. Guess the pipe will ave to be exposed and then the damage section cut out and a new straight yorkshire fitting soldered in.

Sponsored Links
How about copper epoxy putty, I know it can repair water leaks is it ok to use on gas.

If you tell me I am not to do it I will not I will get a qualified gas engineer, but is this not what a forum is for ?

How about copper epoxy putty, I know it can repair water leaks is it ok to use on gas.

If you tell me I am not to do it I will not I will get a qualified gas engineer, but is this not what a forum is for ?
OK. You are not to do this. You have satisfactorily demonstrated that you have insuffucient knowledge to tackle this task.

An error fixing a water pipe may get you wet. An error fixing a gas pipe may get you dead. There is a bit of a difference here :confused:

A forum is to pass on/discuss information. However, If you came on here asking how to make an explosive device, you wouldn't honestly expect to get an answer, surely?

Errrm, No.

Neither can you use PVA glue, Contact adhesive, Sellotape, Band aid, Chewing gum or No Nails.....

You can however use a Registered Gas Installer... Obviously you can't actually splice him into the pipe work as he would be unsightly but he could effect a good, safe and permanent repair...

NO NO & NO AGAIN. :eek: :mad: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Just do it properly.
Please dont bodge a damaged gas pipe.

David.

EDIT: Great post Dex.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back