Gate Valve on domestic central heating tank

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
Good afternoon.

The gate valve on my oil tand is rather old. It accepts a 3?8 inch copper pipe. Will I have any problems connecting a 100mm copper pipe to the valve? If the pipe will not fit, how can I get around the problem?

Any help would be gratefully received!

Jimmy

Sponsored Links
You certainly will have a problem connecting 100mm pipe to essentially what is 10mm valve

Good afternoon.

The gate valve on my oil tand is rather old. It accepts a 3?8 inch copper pipe. Will I have any problems connecting a 100mm copper pipe to the valve? If the pipe will not fit, how can I get around the problem?

Any help would be gratefully received!

Jimmy
would love to watch you trying to do that :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
OK lads, I plead guilty - the 100mm entry should ofr course be 10mm .

I'm having trouble sourcing 3/8 inch pipe - will a 10mm pipe fit into a 3/8 inch gate valve? If not will I need some converter to mate a 10mm pipt to a short piece of 3/8 inch pipe?

Sorry for the confusion1

Jinny

post a pic of your existing valve there are different couplers depending on the valve being used

OK lads, I plead guilty - the 100mm entry should ofr course be 10mm .

I'm having trouble sourcing 3/8 inch pipe - will a 10mm pipe fit into a 3/8 inch gate valve? If not will I need some converter to mate a 10mm pipt to a short piece of 3/8 inch pipe?

Sorry for the confusion1

Jinny[/QUOTE
I assume your 3/8" valve is nominal 3/8" so will take nominal 3/8" copper pipe. Of course pipes are metric these days, I tried to find the actual OD of a 3/8" pipe on the web but no joy. I would guess it's something like 12mm, so you could get hold of some 12mm pipe (which is a standard (OD) size) and try it.
For comparison, I have data for bigger sizes - 1/2" has OD 15.14mm, 3/4" has OD 21.49mm.
If anybody has a chart of small nominal imperial sizes vs actual OD I'd like to see it.

Last edited:
My gate valve

upload_2021-5-10_15-33-42.png

That is a pic of a standard gate valve, show us your actual set up, there is nothing 3/8 on that valve

That olive would suit a pipe with actual OD 3/8", and would (obvs) need the appropriate valve. But if it's 3/8" as valve per #7 I'd have thought it would be 3/8" nominal size. If it's in Italy as the OP's flag it's likely to be an old one. I thought 3/8" actual OD pipe was only in USA.

OP - can you tell us the pipe OD?

That olive would suit a pipe with actual OD 3/8", and would (obvs) need the appropriate valve. But if it's 3/8" as valve per #7 I'd have thought it would be 3/8" nominal size. If it's in Italy as the OP's flag it's likely to be an old one. I thought 3/8" actual OD pipe was only in USA.

OP - can you tell us the pipe OD?
He has an old 3/8"OD 'compression' gate valve, quite common on old oil lines,
the 3/8" pipe with that olive will work in the 10mm union
( the flag is irish ).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back