Gatso flashing problem !

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A friend of mine who is a policeman has to investigate why the Gatso camera was flashing at their car which was not even speeding as there was a lot of phone calls from driver :eek: It turn out to be a young lad with a empty baked bean can with a rope swinging in circle above his head causing the Gatso camera to flash which also keep running out of film. He was wearing a paper brown bag over his head to protect his identification :LOL:

Sponsored Links
that'll be because a true gatso camera uses microwaves, reflected off the tin, it makes it think its some one speeding

Sponsored Links
Yeah, If you swing a FULL tin of beans in front of a Gatso, will it heat them up for you?

Perhaps if we placed slipstream driven, wind vanes, or propellers on our car roof, the speed cameras could be made to flash at every vehicle carrying one and thereby proven unreliable ... oh, and running out of film and /or processing resources to boot.

P

The Gatso is going to be replaced with a new digital version in the near furure. This transmits the pictures to a centralised office, where they are stored on dvd. This will store thousands of those snapshots, no need to change film anymore and only takes a few seconds to replace the dvd.

Every camera we see will then be active rather than the one in however many, as it is at the moment.

They also act as speed cameras, so thoses on traffic light duty can give you a speeding ticket also! 2 offences for jumping that red light.

That lads arm is going to get pretty tired :D

nstreet said:
The Gatso is going to be replaced with a new digital version in the near furure.
They already have them round the M25 but you don't noticed them. If you look very carefully they are in dark blue colour look like a street lamp sadly. They are on 24 hrs and can take 60,000 picture per hour if needed. Also it work out the distance between the 2 camera, so if you're doing 70 mph all the way then go over the speed limit for a while you have no choice but to pull over the hard shoulder. They know you're speeding even the camera not there ! I have the details at work warning our HGV drivers, sadly they been in commission for the last 2 years but they won't tell us when they're going to use it. All this is what I know of my head but if you more details, I try and get a copy from work.

sorry to diassapoint you masona they are NOT dark blue in colour.

They are bog standard grey

the blue "things" you see on the M25 do indeed see how fast you are going, you can also see them on major trunk roads, they do look like "new fangled lamp posts"

They actually belong to Traffic Master they are for speed detection / traffic flow status

The blue ones are MKII of their traffic sensors, a lot of people do think they are for the Police and they are speed cameras, but in fact they are not, they can not see like a camera does, they bounce an infra red beam off your car that way they can tell how fast you are going (but they cant see your reg) and then use the information to send to any one who gets a "receiver" (mine one broke) but you can see a demo here

There are speed cameras on the "speed flow" area of the M25, a special law had to be passed to enable them to do it, because dot matrix motorway signs are advisory, not compulsory, Except the ones i just mentioned which are compulsory. There are 13 sets of 3 speed cameras that are linked to the dot matrix signs in each direction on the particular stretch of the M25.

They are quite easy to see, because you look at the signal gantry on the other side of the M25 and there they are for all and sundry to see.

There are electronic speed cameras that do not flash and do calculate the time it takes you to cover a set distance, (there was a set on the M1 between HH (jnc eight) and the M25 but they have been removed,) but they were ordainairy cameras sitting on the Gantry not as you said blue poles

there are other sets about but the blue ones on poles are deffinently NOT for the Police and do belong to Traffic Master, a lot of people thought as you did, :( sorry about bursting your bubble.

breezer said:
:( sorry about bursting your bubble.
Not at all breezer, like I said "this is what I know out of my head but if you need more details, I try and get a copy from work."
I'm at work now :cry: and got the full letter heading from head office,

Be aware of the new speed cameras which are being erected the complete length of the 'A' and 'M' Roads. They are recognized by tall blue coloured poles and a small aerial pole next to it. SPEEDCHECK SVDD or SPEC went online on the M1, netting 4,300 offenders in a single day. The system does not use instantaneous speed like the camera we're all familiar with, instead measuring the average speed of every vehicle over a distance of about a mile.

How? By reading your license plates and matching them up camera-to-camera. Kent and Leicestershire police are so impress with it that systems are being erected in their enforcement areas too. This is now in service after successful trials on the M1 and M20 in the UK.

SPEEDCHECK SVDD (Sure Video Detection Device) is a system similar in concept to the GATSO, but with a new twist. SVDD deploys camera at either end of a measured baseline, (up to 500 metres) to monitor vehicles 24 hours a day. Using machine vision, vehicle number plates are read, and the precise time of each observation recorded and as a vehicle passes the second camera, the number plate records are matched, and an average speed for the vehicle is calculated. If this is above the trigger speed, then the vehicle's identification is recorded along with it's speed. It is also flashed up on a hugh illuminated sign further down the road to embarrass the driver into slowing down. When triggered, the detection technology used in these cameras automatically records the date, precise time, location and speed of the offending vehicle, along with a detailed image of the front of the vehicle, which clearly records the number plate, the model, who is driving and the colour of the vehicle.

There's five overriding reasons for the habitual speeder to be afraid of this system.

1.It works 24 hours a day.
2.Needs no film !
3.Uses no flash !
4.Uses no rader ! So, bad luck all those of you who think that rader detectors work.
5.It's been proven to be over 99% accurate in almost all weather conditions.

It doesn't do spot-speed checking. A GATSO can only check the speed of a vehicle within a certain range, so the tactic most drivers use now is to slow down for the camera and then speed up again once past it.

SPEEDCHECK measures average speed over a known distance. So if you do 60mph under each camera and the speed up to 80 mph in between, your average speed is likely to be nearer 70mph, 10mph over the limit impose, you're nicked. SVDD say this means that the system can impose a far smoother flow of traffic eliminating slow-fast driving that the GATSO provoke. Because it's automated, the system is entirely self-sufficient. It's hooked up to the DVLA computers, and can automatically process the fines and send out notices in the post.
It's Big Brother. Don't believe for a moment that this technology will only be used to catch speeders. It can be used to keep track of where every single car in the country is at any given moment in time once the network of these things becomes broad enough.

i have seen similar to what you are reading before, i think its called "an urban legend"

the cameras do exist, as i mentioned they are on the M1 (were i should say) the the dark blue ones on poles are 100% owned by traffic master

breezer said:
the the dark blue ones on poles are 100% owned by traffic master
Make you wonder if they are all working together with the police.

I have mentioned before, personally av spd over a distance I am not so concerned about, I don't like the instant b*gg*rs.
I think the av spd type enforcement could stop the 'local' queue jumper, then we travel along at the speed limit with out the constant speedsters overtaking and pushing you back down the inevitable queue !!

Motorist's Union is what we want ... I believe that could wield some serious power !! Wish I had the acumen to start it ! Imagine a few million members taking some lawful, but newsworthy action, getting results ... the membership would grow enormously ....

P

There is a more-than-slight problem with SPECS. That is, it takes pictures of oncoming traffic in order that the driver's face is captured too. Now, what are the most persistent speed offenders on Britain's roads today? Bikes. What are the most common vehicles with no front numberplate on Britain's roads today? Bikes. I don't want to get into a discourse about why it is or isn't acceptable for bikes to be speeding, but it seems a bit unfair to me!

I despair of my father's use of a radar/laser detector. The daft thing is they all include detection of the laser-guns too. Now, detecting a laser gun offers no benefit other than to tell you the ticket is on its way! The speed has already been clocked.

There are some more major problems with this "digital" system, that are inherent to any such system. One of these is that if this system is on a network that is bridged to the internet, someone WILL try to perform a Denial of Service on it, thus bringing the system down. Then there is the whole big brother issue.

AdamW said:
I despair use of a radar/laser detector.

my brother has one of them, did him no good what so ever and he was caught by a mobile gatso

Sponsored Links
Back