Gazebo build - what and when?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all you clever people

I am planning on building a wooden gazebo on a flat area in the garden. I'm looking to put down a brick built patio on the floor using some nice old reclaimed bricks to keep a traditional look.

My question is over the holes I dig for the verticals and the compacting of the ground (with some hardcore) prior to laying the bricks. If I dig the holes and put in the verticals first, then bring in a vibrating plate to compact all over, is this going to upset the post-holes and loosen the postmix around them? Or should I compact first and then dig and put in the verticals - but won't this make the digging of the holes that much harder?

Possibly over-thinking this but that's just me!

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Consider putting in concrete spurs to avoid rot to the posts, they can be covered over with foliage and will stay secure when if put in first. If you just want wooden posts fit them first, concreted in, and cut bricks around them

Thanks for the reply. Sorry to be dim, but could you expand on what you mean by "concrete spurs"?

My uneducated guess would say you mean effectively overfilling the holes with the postmix so that the concrete sets proud of the level my brick layer will be so the post isn't in contact with any soil above the postmix? If so, how would you go about creating this spur without it just spreading out with gravity?

I have also read that putting a few inches of gravel below the post in the bottom of the hole is a good idea?

Thanks for the reply. Sorry to be dim, but could you expand on what you mean by "concrete spurs"?

My uneducated guess would say you mean effectively overfilling the holes with the postmix so that the concrete sets proud of the level my brick layer will be so the post isn't in contact with any soil above the postmix? If so, how would you go about creating this spur without it just spreading out with gravity?

I have also read that putting a few inches of gravel below the post in the bottom of the hole is a good idea?
I meant a short concrete post in the ground which the posts are bolted to.

Sponsored Links
Thanks

On original question though - does it matter if I do posts or wacker plate first?

These would require concrete at post location .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back