General questions, first time install, Combi...

The Gas side of it isn't the only bit you legally need an RGI for, flue too.

Other than that, feel free to do the rest of it yourself, no reason why not if you have the confidence. It might take you 3 times longer than any of us but you'll save the cash, which seems to be your sole aim.

Where is your gas meter in relation to where you plan to instal the boiler? You should also be thinking of the route for that, not just the wet pipes.

saving cash is important, but making a neat job of it is more important. with oak skirtings/doors etc, i'd rather take my time, and be happy with the job at the end of it.

As for the flue - i'm correct in thinking that the flue can be retro fitted on most boilers ??? the location of the boiler will leave pleanty of room for the regs as to windows etc. the flue will only need to be a foot long. every house in my row has the boiler fitted in the same place, its really the only place suitible for a boiler.

as for the gas meter ( it was only installed a week ago, at the cost of £500) - its in a good place, its mounted on the same wall as the boiler will be, so its straight into the house, up the channel through the concrete floor ( it carries EVERYTHING, h+c water, mains power, waste, hdmi/audio cables...)

I'll employ the gas guy to fit the pipe from the meter, T'eed, one to the boiler, then a run past the cooker ( elec at the moment) and then a potential gas fire location. I presume i can't run this pipe myself, and just have him inspect and plumb it to the meter ???

Sponsored Links
Someone else suggested the baxi - i found a half decent deal on the web, including the rads i need ( or bigger ones if needed)

Baxi 105 HE Combi Heating Pack

have to say for budget i do like the 105he.not exactly rocket science to work on, loads of parts available due to the 105e and models etc..

i thought that - I like the idea of some other makes which carry longer warranties, but to be fair, they don't mean all that much these days.

the 105e meets all my needs - pleaty of heating capacity for my house, and indeed more than enough supply of hot water. Uses a jig ( ideal for me!)....

I keep thinking " do i really need a magna clean " ......Someone care to answer that ?

Thanks for all the input so far guys.

good luck on that one with the guy whos commisioning it. i say this.as iv seen water pipes hold at half a bar pressure being stopped from blowing off due to the flux etc.this always makes me think.at least if iv done the gas pipe myself iv checked each joint etc.any fault, then its my head.if i were to commission someone elses gas pipe, its still my head even if it fails a day later.

ideal logic 24 plus £550 heat pack £1200 plumbcentre

also if u want a neat job employ a pro. not a pipefitter / 6 week plumber

there is no way a regular person is going to be better than a pro heating engineer.

Sponsored Links
I keep thinking " do i really need a magna clean " ......Someone care to answer that ?

id stick a fernox tf1 before one of them.end of the day it will help.and roughly 70-80 pound.easy to fit.and they do work.but still not an excuse to mistreat a system.

Don't fit an Ideal boiler.

And don't touch ANYTHING gas. Leave it to him.

You can fit core drill the hole for the flue and let the RGI connect it. He shouldn't charge much to do it.

I would also check you can get a guy to come in and commission it for you, a lot of guys understandably wont touch other peoples work.

do fit an ideal logic, better than the baxi your on about

by miles. 5 year warrenty also.

infact there better than the worcester greenstar an a vaillant ecotec. simples ;)

infact there better than the worcester greenstar an a vaillant ecotec. simples icon_wink.gif

wow thats a pretty bold statement given ideals past record.gonna love the rest of thist topic :LOL:

This is what gets me - different people have VERY different views of what is good, and what is bad......

Given your username, i can only presume you work for them !!! onlyfitidealboilers

"there is no way a regular person is going to be better than a pro heating engineer."

Better in what way....I'll have more respect for my property than a "pro heating engineer"......I'll take the care to drill nice neat holes in my skirtings, sand the rough edges off..Rather than just sticking a grommet in the hole.

this is what you don't get -a "pro heating engineer" will take £££££££ to do this job...Its very time consuming due to the way i want it done...Extra time spent drilling through concrete walls, hiding pipes properly etc.

One guy that came out reckoned the way i wanted the pipes run would take his 2 man team 3 days, 10 hours a day. ( to complete the install ) thats 60 man hours hours, £25 an hour = £1500.

Or he quoted me £800 to do it in a day and a half, HIS way....

which involved 2 vertical pipe runs...one in my living room, one in my kitchen. THATS why i want to do it myself.

There is as much arguing over what plastic to use as to which boiler you buy.

When fitting plastic make sure you have AT THE VERY LEAST 1 metre worth of copper on your flow and return going into the boiler. Also consider where your condensate pipe is going to run. If it's in your bathroom then running it outside and using a strap on into your soil stack, if plastic, will be the easiest way.

yeah, i mentioned that earlier - should be plenty of room for a metre of copper before i hit the plastic.

as for the cond. run.....the soil stack runs vertically ( duh) around 2m from the boiler location.....

Before you go buying all this stuff i would recommend you seek out a registered gas fitter who is willing to do the work you require and that he will sign it off.

Otherwise you will end up with an expensive wall decoration.

In terms of boiler, if on a budget the the baxi 105he or the Main equivalent would suit the bill.

Pipework wise, make isnt such an issue, using the correct fittings for the pipe is important.

do fit an ideal logic, better than the baxi your on about

by miles. 5 year warrenty also.

infact there better than the worcester greenstar an a vaillant ecotec. simples ;)
what ideal will hounr a warrenty on diy job
and besides the first design flaw has come in on cc section about this boiler

Go to plumb centre for your 105he heat pack it is a lot cheaper than 1250.

Pebble concete walls?
Known as Nofine brought up on them chop a hole with hammer and chisel in less than half hour. You can do it all from inside and leave the outside skin for a gentle /neat break through
Tip if your dill is not that good when it stops going in get an old well made posi drive screwdriver put it in and hit it with hammer this will split the pebble and allow drill to progress.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back