General questions, first time install, Combi...

If you as an operative decide to take on the responsibility of commisioning an appliance that you have not installed yourself you will take full responsibility for the installation !

If the installation is subsequently inspected the install becomes yours & you will be held responsible for any defects that were found & you would be expected to put them right ! This would also include relevant electrics , condensate disposal , compliance with building regs & energy effiency !

Further to this if the property was subsequently sold the new owners would also consider the person who's name appears on any documentation as the profesional & responsible person should any issues arise !

I'd only commision and register a system/boiler that was installed to current standards anyway. I supose the gamble for the OP would be having to redo incorrect work e.g. PRV/condense/electrics or using TRV's only and no room stat.

Sponsored Links
Andygasman2010";p="1672400 said:
If you as an operative decide to take on the responsibility of commisioning an appliance that you have not installed yourself you will take full responsibility for the installation !

If the installation is subsequently inspected the install becomes yours & you will be held responsible for any defects that were found & you would be expected to put them right ! This would also include relevant electrics , condensate disposal , compliance with building regs & energy effiency !

Further to this if the property was subsequently sold the new owners would also consider the person who's name appears on any documentation as the profesional & responsible person should any issues arise !

There are potentially other issues according to the article printed in the gas installer , is the boiler securely mounted to the wall proper & adequate fixings used ?? would you have to lift floor boards to inspect pipes ect this would all be relevant to a diy job that would potentially become yours down the road when the house was sold a couple of times
personally I would not sign off any diy job , I have signed off other installers jobs ref a guy who was not LPG reg but I know him & know his work , signing off a diyers job may well come back to haunt that installer ?

"If you as an operative decide to take on the responsibility of commisioning an appliance that you have not installed yourself you will take full responsibility for the installation !"

so if i asked a RGI to come and do a boiler swap out, he would inspect the entire system, including lifting floor boards???

You make a good point Transam, it'd have to be rigerously inspected to be signed off. Depending on the RGI's standards of course!

Sponsored Links
well you'll all be glad to know i've found a RGI/Gas-safe installer who has agreed to come and do the gas, and then test/commision my new boiler.

He's happy for me to do all the plumbing, and gave me a few bits of advice too.

He reckons he'll do it for £200.

So, time to buy some kit !!!!!

"If you as an operative decide to take on the responsibility of commisioning an appliance that you have not installed yourself you will take full responsibility for the installation !"

so if i asked a RGI to come and do a boiler swap out, he would inspect the entire system, including lifting floor boards???

Probably not but if a problem subsequently occured the rgi might be held responsible , dependant upon the problem ?? with a new install he will be held responsible . (6 years I think )
Lets suppose you sell your property in a couple of years ? a problem occur's or the new owners find that some reg has not been adhered to ? they get onto you , they want it put right , what will your postion be will you take full responsibility ? or will you say But I had it commisioned/ inspected by an rgi ?? Again these remarks are not neccesarily directed at you , personally I might well do the same as you ?? who knows ?
Hope it go's well for you , remember Lead free solder on potable water :D

Probably not but if a problem subsequently occured the rgi might be held responsible , dependant upon the problem ?? with a new install he will be held responsible . (6 years I think )
Lets suppose you sell your property in a couple of years ? a problem occur's or the new owners find that some reg has not been adhered to ? they get onto you , they want it put right , what will your postion be will you take full responsibility ? or will you say But I had it commisioned/ inspected by an rgi ?? Again these remarks are not neccesarily directed at you , personally I might well do the same as you ?? who knows ?
Hope it go's well for you , remember Lead free solder on potable water :D

Solder....Won't be using much of that !!!!

Thanks again for your input mate - i have taken all these things into consideration, but financially i don't have many options.

Just reading up on plastic pipes....And drawing out how i'm gonna plumb this bad boy.....I presume manifolds are not normally used - easier to T-Peice it when needed???

also, the 22mm feed and return - after the 1m of copper pipe i'll be using, i'm planning on dropping the 22mm pipe straight downstairs, before reducing to 15mm........Or do you guys just reduce to 15mm at the first joint....Which would be a 22/15/15 T-peice in my case ?

15mm will be fine for your system a 22mm drop is simply not needed.

Manifolds?
These were used in micro bore systems and are a relic of the past!!
Two pipe small bore heating is what you need.
I'm a little bit worried for you now! :eek:

15mm will be fine for your system a 22mm drop is simply not needed.

Manifolds?
These were used in micro bore systems and are a relic of the past!!
Two pipe small bore heating is what you need.
I'm a little bit worried for you now! :eek:

"I presume manifolds are not normally used"....

No need to be worried for me - from what i've planned out it should be fairly straight forward in terms of plumbing, and there is no rush to get it installed, so i can take my time, and make sure everything is done properly !

At least OPs installation will be getting the benefit of a check/test by someone other than the person who installed it, its a pity the same can't be said of almost all RGI installations, plenty could do with one.
As servotech stated the main reason for the introduction of the so called competent person legistration was to prevent the likes of BG employees doing PJ installations at week-ends etc. If safety then or now was the main concern it would be compulsory for all new boiler installations to be checked/tested by an independent third party. Nothing would serve to improve workmanship more than the thought of someone who knows what their looking at, calling to check and carry out a tests.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back