General Tips.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Been looking to see it anyone has ever started a thread about general tips on how to solve basic problems.
Not detailed advice on how to totally renovate/repair something to pristine condition using expensive, special tools such as routers, chop saws, mini diggers etc etc. Just plain simple fixes that will solve an immediate problem.
Here's an example: We have a gazebo, one of those things with a cloth roof and mesh type curtains around the sides. The problem we had was when it rained the water would collect on the roof forming pools which would cause the roof to droop inwards. Simple remedy was to get some pipe lagging, (15mm foam stuff is perfect), and slide it between the top cover and the support bars across the corner so it formed a loop. This helps prevent the water from pooling and doesn't distort the roof covering too much.

Anyone else got similar 'household tips', as they used to be known as.

Sponsored Links
If you are having a wall/ room plastered, remove the sockets and switches so there are no awkward and fiddly bits to go round.

I found the easiest and cheapest way to do this was to temporarily join all the socket conductors with wago connectors, tuck them into the box and then cut a length of the widest PVC cable channeling. Bend the channelling in the middle so you can fit it in the box, with each end captive behind the screw lugs.

Make sure the protruding section of the capping is facing inwards, ie facing in to the wall.

This ensures there is nothing proud of the box to get in the way of the plasterer's trowel and ensures only a bare minimum of plaster removal is required after plastering.

Maybe you could put this thread over on 'General DIY' considering how quickly this forum moves threads along.
More of a suggestion than a tip, i guess.:)

How's your Ant War progressing, Conny, are you winning?

Sponsored Links
How's your Ant War progressing, Conny, are you winning?

Well I managed to win my war, in the kitchen at the back of the house, using a moist borax / icing sugar mix put in plastic bottle caps, but I have just spotted some evidence at the front of the house, on the bay skirting....

I don't know how long it has been there, because it's tucked away behind a settee. I suffered them at the front last year, appearing on to of the skirting close to the front door, which is along the same front wall and it might just possibly be from then, but I doubt it. Problem is, I dare not use my bottle cap method, because there is nowhere to tuck them out of the way of the dog. I need to devise something the dog cannot get to, to lick.

Well, if someone has an idea for a device to keep your dogs tongue away from the ant-killa-mixture then this would be a good place to put it :)

I've hardly had chance to do much in the garden this year and the top is wild and weedfull, so ants have had a headstart on me. If i don't crack on i'll be swarmed by the perishing flying squad later in the summer.

I have never seen this mentioned, but some months ago I refloored the kitchen with vinyl. I was rather disappointed by just how soft, delicate it seemed and how easily it would rip, simply moving furniture around upon it. Last I laid was called lino, so not an experinced vinyl installer. Since I laid it, what I have noticed it has toughened up quite substantially.

I guess what happens is the solvents evaporate out of it more easily after laying. So the tip is - be extremely careful for a few weeks after it is laid, especially when moving furniture on it.

When using a public toilet never use the first few sheets of paper to ripe your bum.

Okay, not done it on a paddle board but done it on a surf board. Here’s one Mrs Mottie took of me only the other week.

910C1DAA-83BE-4672-A313-726955BC74E3.jpeg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back