Cold roof insulation - general tips and materials recommendations?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I’m hoping to improve the loft insulation of a cold roof of a large wood clad, timber frame bungalow that is currently poorly insulated and struggles with heat retention. It is currently largely single glazed (I’m working on secondary glazing with Magnetglaze Extreme Pro and 4-6mm Perspex). It’s been extended multiple times over several decades. Much of the construction appears to be wood clad single skin brick or breeze block with no insulation. Roof is a lightweight wooden structure with a thin metal roof tile (Decra Classic).

Given the poor thermal performance of the building, I’m inclined towards over-insulationg it / being overly cautious - unless of course that makes no sense.

(A) Loft over bedrooms – currently partially insulated with loose fibre.
  • Planning to:
  • Add downlight covers over LED lights*
  • Add more loose fill mineral wool where there is none between the joists (so c. 200mm).
  • Then add another layer (I assume 100mm – but perhaps 200mm worthwhile?) everywhere over the joists/existing insulation, save for the area where the solar inverters/batteries, etc are. There I plan to create a “walkway” (well, crawling patch) from the loft hatch to there for occasional access with some PIR boards (75mm thick? E.g. Celotex GA4075) (instead of topping over joists with loose fibre). Though given size of loft hatch and limited space in the loft, it might be more sensible to order smaller sizes of PIR board!
Photos:

DSC-4087.jpg

DSC-4093.jpg

DSC-4110.jpg

(B) Skylight
There is a large skylight.
  • Pictured from inside the loft:
DSC-5056-edit.jpg

• The other side is plasterboard into the room:
DSC-1371.jpg

The (presumably plywood) wooden frame around it is partly insulated. Planning to:

Downlight covers over LED lights*
- Replace (and uses elsewhere) existing insulation between the (c. 45-47mm) studs. I’m tempted by 40mm Rockwool RW3 (60kg/m3) between the studs (for its acoustic performance, as well as thermal). But perhaps PIR should be considered instead?
Then clad over it all, studs included, with PIR boards (appropriate thickness). How best to secure it? (Part of this will need to be inside that secondary 100mm frame)
- So a bit like this – but with rockwool between the studs:
Single-timber-frame-wall-lining-and-dormer-cheeks-weatherboard.jpg

(C) Pipe lagging - recommendations welcome.

* I gather fire retardant downlight covers will be required for the LEDs (e.g. Loft Lids).

Comments on how best to approach A, B and C, tips, and recommendations for suitable materials (sizes, brands, etc), suppliers, etc would be most welcome.

I’ve assumed that because I’m essentially topping up existing insulation that there’s little sense in changing horses on material, e.g. sheepwool or aerogel.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back