Generator exhaust

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hopefully I've picked the right sub-forum for this enquiry.

I am looking to extend the exhaust of my portable generator in order to facilitate housing the machine in the garden shed.
The unit is a Champion 73001i-DF with a #88 spark arrester (that the exhaust extension stub will bolt onto) but I've not been able to locate a supplier in the UK, despite extensive trawling the 'net. I could have the part made up, but the cost of a one-off item wouldn't be viable.
I'm not against having to order from the 'States if I have to, but years back I experienced problems (items going missing/customs charges) ordering items from there, hopefully the process may have improved.

nb. spoke to a certain household supplier here in the UK who had never even heard of such a modification, though there are plenty of images on the 'net :rolleyes:
Thanks for reading folks.

Sponsored Links
Hopefully I've picked the right sub-forum for this enquiry.

I am looking to extend the exhaust of my portable generator in order to facilitate housing the machine in the garden shed.
The unit is a Champion 73001i-DF with a #88 spark arrester (that the exhaust extension stub will bolt onto) but I've not been able to locate a supplier in the UK, despite extensive trawling the 'net. I could have the part made up, but the cost of a one-off item wouldn't be viable.
I'm not against having to order from the 'States if I have to, but years back I experienced problems (items going missing/customs charges) ordering items from there, hopefully the process may have improved.

nb. spoke to a certain household supplier here in the UK who had never even heard of such a modification, though there are plenty of images on the 'net :rolleyes:
Thanks for reading folks.
Silly question probably but why not have it outside your shed, perhaps in its own shed/housing?

I think we’ll need a pic or two here, maybe you could cobble up an extension with some tubing from a wardrobe rail or whatever?
A spark arrestor isn’t needed, so that can go, or maybe used as part of the extension.
You won’t be able to add another silencer, I’m afraid.
John

Sponsored Links
Not an option I'm afraid on the grounds of cost/space/security.
I have found room for the geni. in our existing (precast concrete) shed & that ticks all the above mentioned boxes.

Thanks anyway.

I think we’ll need a pic or two here, maybe you could cobble up an extension with some tubing from a wardrobe rail or whatever?
A spark arrestor isn’t needed, so that can go, or maybe used as part of the extension.
You won’t be able to add another silencer, I’m afraid.
John
Additional silencer not needed as the exhaust will point into the garden & towards woodland directly behind the home.
With respect I don't want to 'cobble' anything up on the grounds of safety; the proper kit isn't expensive, just that I'd prefer to source it in the UK.

Thanks for your input though John.

A good project! My own generator, Briggs 3500W, lives in my lock up garage during the winter ready to go. A trailing lead connects to a double outlet in the utility room so I can run my oil boiler and rig up lights, kettle or whatever and keep the external doors shut.
I extended the exhaust with a push on length of pipe, 35mm dia and 400mm long which pokes out of the lower stable door on the side of the lock up.
I’m lucky that crime isn’t an issue here so it can clatter away when needed but I do keep an eye on it.....plenty of air gets in through the gaps on the up and over door.
If you do get the kit you need, I’m sure we’d like to see it!
John

They seem to be just a standard flexible exhaust with a clamp , easy enough to find in uk.

A good project! My own generator, Briggs 3500W, lives in my lock up garage during the winter ready to go. A trailing lead connects to a double outlet in the utility room so I can run my oil boiler and rig up lights, kettle or whatever and keep the external doors shut.
I extended the exhaust with a push on length of pipe, 35mm dia and 400mm long which pokes out of the lower stable door on the side of the lock up.
I’m lucky that crime isn’t an issue here so it can clatter away when needed but I do keep an eye on it.....plenty of air gets in through the gaps on the up and over door.
If you do get the kit you need, I’m sure we’d like to see it!
John
Our geni. is a 3.3kw (or 3.5, I'm not sure) duel fuel with electric start. I have contacted a part P electrician with a view to wiring it into the home electrics by means of a change-over switch; it won't be capable of running the whole home, but it doesn't need to, just the freezer/fridge & combi boiler with enough output left over for lights/tv etc.
We have LPG for cooking/kettle & the combi. which also supplies the shower. Noise intrusion is not a concern as the geni. won't be run late at night as we will then rely on a portable rechargeable power sources & charge it during the day.
They seem to be just a standard flexible exhaust with a clamp , easy enough to find in uk.
True, but you need a stub exhaust to slide the pipe over & employ a clamp. Even if I removed the spark arrester the tip of the exhaust would still be just inside the casing, so insufficient clearance for a clamp.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back