Generator Size

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We would need to buy a generator to power a house we intend to build in a remote island off Scotland. There will be no electric supply after the house is finished. Therefore, we would need a continuous run gen set to power the house. The electrical content of the house is estimated to be 65,000 WATT, of which 40,000 watt are motor ran units such as air-conditioners.

Could you pls suggest what size and type of generator set we would need.

Regards.

Sponsored Links
Why on earth do you think you need 40kW of air con? Do you think the islands are hot? And what is the other 25kW for?

You surely aren't thinking of using electricity for cooking, heating or hot water?

Is this the same house as the one you are building in Nigeria?

No gas yet, so yes I am planning to use electric for all.

I may have calculated the air-con power consumption wrongly. Total air-con is 15 units of 18,000 BTU.

The other includes lights, cooker, iron, water pump, etc.

Regards

Sponsored Links
Oriahig said:
of which 40,000 watt are motor ran units such as air-conditioners.

Regards.

That is a lot of motorised equipment

Firts thought is you are going to be running oil fuelled ( or maybe gas fueled) generator. Have you given any thought to air conditioning using a oil fuelled motor instead of electric. It could be more efficient.

Also have may be have two generators. A small 5 or 10 kilowatt for lighting and small loads and a second larger one powered only when needed.

Yes, John. it almost the same one we are building in Nigeria but this is bigger. As we hope to use it as a B&B

It is very inefficient to use electricity for heating, cooking or hot water. get an oil boiler, and use a gas tank for cooking.

Agree with diesel engine driven compressor which would be more efficient but you are wrong to imagine you need air con on a Scottish island. Woolly vests are more useful.

Do the air con units double as heat pumps? If so I think this is a better idea than electric heating. Certainly less power consumption. :D

It will be more efficient to have 1 or 2 building-wide heat pumps with a bit of redundancy in there in case one breaks down.

Oriahig said:
No gas yet, so yes I am planning to use electric for all.

Regards

What about using gas bottles, to run the cooker & maybe the water heating.

As the Cookers in my Uncle's pub in NZ, run off of 2 tall red/orange coloured gas bottles, as there is no gas supply in NZ.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back