Generators....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Some questions;

1. Who thinks we might need one - I hear of possible power cuts to come.

2. If we needed one, what sort of output would I need to run my central heating, a telly and a lamp?

3. Anyone use/have one, if so, any recommendations?

Sponsored Links
This would be a good start:

HONDA EU22i 2.2KW SILENT (SUITCASE) INVERTER GENERATOR

You can't go wrong with Honda.

Andy

Yes, that does seem to be the standard by which others are judged. But, will I need it.......

Sponsored Links
The super-portable Honda EU22i will deliver a max 2200W of clean mains quality electricity to run and recharge the most sensitive electronic equipment, it's perfect for your travels or for around the home. Weighing in at only compact 21kg, the EU22i certainly packs a punch in the power and features department. Benefiting from revolutionary inverter technologywhich delivers high quality super-stable electricity the sames as your outlets at home. This high quality power is essential for powering sensitive electronic devices such as laptops, TVs and Cameras.

The Honda suitcase range are actually superb......at a price!
They even return to tickover when on no demand.
I have a 3800w Briggs and Stratton, very reliable, superb starter but noisy......it runs my oil boiler, kettle and lamps.
John :)

The Honda suitcase range are actually superb......at a price!
They even return to tickover when on no demand.
I have a 3800w Briggs and Stratton, very reliable, superb starter but noisy......it runs my oil boiler, kettle and lamps.
John :)
Not sure on oil boilers, but it's something to do with the earth, which a modern gas boiler needs for the ignition rectification, and some boilers are sensitive to generators. Used to get loads of calls when work on electric supplies needed a generator for several days, boilers locking out on ignition.

I used to have a Brigs n Strappon generator, but i switched to a Tesla powerwall style storage. Our house came with many solar panels. May get another as backup hmm.

Hopefully it won't come to power outages i don't see why it should?

Not sure on oil boilers, but it's something to do with the earth, which a modern gas boiler needs for the ignition rectification, and some boilers are sensitive to generators. Used to get loads of calls when work on electric supplies needed a generator for several days, boilers locking out on ignition.
Thanks. This may be a silly question and I’m a way from deciding whether to get one yet but looking at a few, they do say where possible, to connect them to an external earth rod. If I were to get one and I wanted to use it for my heating system (or any other household appliance) for safety, would a way round that be to get an ordinary three pin plug, have just one single cable connected to the earth pin, plug it in to any socket in my house and connect the other end of the cable to the earthing connector on the generator?

Need to work out how many watts /KW your going to need in a worst case scenario.

What's the wattage of the water heating element?

My kettle is 3kw so the little Genny won't take it. My immersion heater is 2.2kw the generator will run that just about.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back