1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Getting a boiler serviced

Discussion in 'Plumbing and Central Heating' started by D_Hailsham, 8 May 2018.

1. D_Hailsham

D_Hailsham

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    My boiler was due for it's annual service a few weeks ago. So I phoned the GSR who installed it a few years ago and has carried out the previous services. All I got was his answerphone, so I left a message saying that the boiler need servicing and would he contact me.

Since then: nothing.

I have tried several times and always got the answerphone. Last time, I said that, if he was too busy, could he let me know and I would ask another GSR I know to do the job.

No response.

What is wrong with the guy? He does a good job and his prices are reasonable (he replaced the HW cylinder recently). Doesn't he realize that his attitude to customers will drive them away?

I know I'm not alone in having problems getting a service done and I think I know what the reason is: money. A GSR can earn more on installations and repairs in the time it takes to carry out a service.

How can GSR' s be incentivised to carry out servicing, which is essential if a boiler warranty is to be maintained, possibly for up to 10 years?

2. Sponsored Links
  3. muggles

muggles

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Actually servicing is often more profitable than installation work. Maybe he's been taken seriously ill, or is on holiday?

• Like Like x 1
  4. HERTS P&D

HERTS P&D

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Or he doesn't like you.

Andy

• Like Like x 7
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. ReganAndCarter

ReganAndCarter

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Some engineers (and some plumbers) are a bloody nightmare to contact. Usually the best ones - but not always. A very experienced engineer I use for big/complex gas jobs never answers his mobile. It's a case of texting and eventually getting a text reply. Because he's so good, I have to overlook his illusiveness. Bit of a nightmare when I recommend him to someone else, as I have to explain the situation and say to try to a couple of calls but be prepared to text if no reply.

It's just the way it is.

6. He is not anywhere near as good as you think he is then

7. Dan Robinson

Dan Robinson

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Plenty of reasons for silent running.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Iamchamps

Iamchamps

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    The customer service is part of being a good trades person. If on the tools skills are good but no good at answering the phone or getting back to me then in my eyes that’s not a good trades person and they will get no business from me.

In experience the best ones are the ones good at the job and can answer the phone and reply to questions in a timely manner.

9. Sponsored Links
  10. sbgasman

sbgasman

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    If I am working on a job or driving I usually do not answer the phone,it is to easy to be distracted and make a mistake,I will call back when I have finished what I am doing,that is of course as long as you are not on the ignore list.

11. FiremanT

FiremanT

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I was thinking: perhaps he hs started to read this site

12. Notch7

Notch7

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I often send text or email to trademen I deal with often.

Im not a fan of texts in a work context generally but its ideal for a tradesman because he doesnt have to stop work and get distracted and its in writing to refer back to a bit later.

I can imagine heating engineers get inundated with phone calls and prob end up ignoring the phone so they can get on.

If you know the guy well, send him a cheeky message.....sometimes humour will get you further and elicit a response.

13. JBR

JBR

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Does it have to be the same man who did the installation?
    Is there anything wrong with getting someone else to do the service?

14. gas112

gas112

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    after you get contacted the 6th time you start to think will this feking halfwit not take the hint

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  15. MTCH

MTCH

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Maybe the clip board was a step to far!

• Like Like x 2
  16. DIYnot Local

DIYnot Local

United Kingdom

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local