Thoughts on new heat only boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My son has a Potterton Suprima 30HE heat only boiler in his new place. Not too sure when (if) it was last serviced, but am arranging with my GSR man to do so. The boiler seems to be working fine at the mo, but his thoughts re this boiler are not good! If, when servicing it, he finds evidence it is on the way out, he will doubtless recommend replacement.

So I want to be prepared.

He is a Vaillant man, and I suspect that is what he will recommend fitting. My usual preference, were it a combi, would be to go for an Intergas. But I have no knowledge whatever of heat only boilers, and it may be that, for example, the Intergas simplicity is not applicable here.

Could I have the benefits of your advice here?

Many thanks!

Sponsored Links
A Suprima HE is going to be a reasonably new boiler, and I wouldn't expect to be replacing it any time soon - it could well have another ten years or more left in it yet.

Although it pains me to say it, an Intergas probably wouldn't be a suitable replacement if you were to go mad and replace it. The smallest Intergas is 18kW; the Suprima 30HE is just 9kW, so you'd end up with a massively oversized boiler. Although I'm not a fan of them, a Worcester 12ri would probably be the most suitable replacement, as it can modulate down to just 3.5kW which will reduce cycling.

Did I just suggest a Worcester would be the best option for something? Time to go and have a lie down...

Got a Worcester 15ri, nearly nine years old and never given a problem. Am I in the minority?

Need to see what your man says once hes had a look at the boiler, Reckon 10 years or so left might be a little optimistic as Im 90% certain there is already one or two obsolote parts for the suprema and suprema HE.

If hes a vaillant advanced registered installer then he could fit you a 412, 12kw boiler (so not much more than whats there) and get a good warranty on it.

It will depend partly on wiring, as I belive the suprimas were not always wired to the pumps or permanant live connections, which the vaillant would need.

If it would be too much upheaval to do the wiring correctly then Baxi I think still make heat only boilers that dont need the extra wiring.

Sponsored Links
Got a Worcester 15ri, nearly nine years old and never given a problem. Am I in the minority?
They're OK if you look after them, they have a few known issues and aren't the easiest things to service but they're not bad boilers. I just don't like Worcester, and I'm certainly not in the minority with that on this forum...

Reckon 10 years or so left might be a little optimistic as Im 90% certain there is already one or two obsolote parts for the suprema and suprema HE

The Suprima HE is an entirely different beast to the Suprima, there aren't too many common parts, and save for a few case screws that you'd never want to buy anyway all parts are still very much available.

10 years until the end of this year for plus boilers which should include the 4 series as far as I know

What about the 65's? :D.

I think I am still ranked as myxy-tec though :LOL:

myxomatosis-rabbit-brentknoll-vets-worcester-300x224.jpg

Thanks to everyone for their valuable comments. Very helpful and much appreciated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back