Not another "What Boiler" question - purleeze!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Well, not quite. Be kind to me on this one.

My son had his heat only boiler serviced last week - its a Potterton Suprima 30. Predictably, my RGI found a problem inside - signs of H/Ex leakage. Rather than disturb things any more, he recommended leaving the boiler until Spring, then replacing it.

He is a Vaillant man. Given a free choice, that is what he would fit. It is what he fitted at my place. But my experience with Vaillant, particularly Customer Support has been less than stellar, so I'd rather not use this brand again.

If it was a combi, my suggestion would be Intergas. But as it is a heat only situation, this brand would lose one of its main advantages (no divertor valve) and as my son lives in a hard water area, scale could also be an issue. I expect Dan to set me straight here - in fact, I hope he does.

I have only one other possible choice - an Atag ir12. As an end user, I can get very little out of Atag as they only supply Gas Safe installers, so I am unclear how I can nudge my RGI towards this brand without a glossy brochure to thrust in his hand. Is the Atag worth this effort? And if so, should I simply give my RGI their Reading number and hope he gives them a call? Like you guys, he is rather busy at this time of year.

I hope I have described the correct type and size of boiler. My son has a one-bed starter home with an open vented system.

Have a great Christmas - and thanks for all the freely given help you have provided over the year to diy-ers. Much appreciated!

Sponsored Links
If the suprima in in good nick other than the heat ex I would replace the heat ex, certainly cheaper than a complete new boiler.

Thanks Picasso - he told me the H/ex wasn't a particularly expensive part, but fitting it would bump the price considerably.

Sponsored Links
ATAG won't sell to anyone without an installer account, which is a bit slow to set up.

Limescale will not be an issue in a heat only boiler - good-quality nhibitors dosed at the correct level will ensure that it cannot form

Of course! I can't get combi boilers out of my head! Thanks, Muggles.

So the Intergas again goes on the short list. Compared to Intergas, are Atag worth the hassle, even if my RGI can be bothered to set up an account.?

Two confessions:

1 I work for Intergas
2 I've never seen an ATAG

That out of the way I know the ATAG is quite well regarded although ours is obviously better!

Trouble is that ATAG have just shut down the factory at Chichester and laid almost everyone there off and it's not clear what's going to be happening with the service, sales and aftercare at the moment. Things might work out or..............................................

I tried to contact them at their Reading HQ a couple of days back as an end user looking to advise my RGI, and have had no reply. Nada.

Of course, they could have shut down for Christmas.

Otherwise, a strange way to establish a quality brand.

Thanks, Razor!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back