Replacement Heat Only Condensing Gas Boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I'm looking for advice and any recommendations for a suitable replacement boiler (heat only) for my open vent system. Simplicity, ease of fitting and reliability are the factors that I am interested in.
The existing system is purely for heating radiators, no hot water requirement, I need about 50,000 + BtU's and please no advice on "You should fit a combi boiler.....!" Would value any advice and best supply firm to approach.......... Thanks.

Sponsored Links
look at manufacturers websites for info, as its been asked thousands of times

vokera

worcester bosch

vaillant

remeha

atag

etc etc

Have looked at all the boiler makes you list glasgowgas , but I was hoping someone who has the knowledge would actually recommend ONE particular make/model and not simply make another list!! But thanks anyway.

Sponsored Links
That just starts an argument everyone has there favorites and others would never touch them.

Having over time fitted all of those listed above, I would recommend ATAG first, then the Broag Avanta Plus.

Have a look at the Baxi Solo HE.....tried and tested heat ex, very easy to install and no pump over-run so very easy to wire up with no extra wires to run.

Ive been fitting them for about 3 years and have had no bother with them at all.

They are also very reasonably priced.

Dont be silly harrogate i doesnt have a foreign sounding name and cost 200 quid more than it should .

Thanks for the advice will check out the ATAG, Broag Avanta Plus and the Baxi Solo HE.

Have a look at the Baxi Solo HE.....tried and tested heat ex, very easy to install and no pump over-run so very easy to wire up with no extra wires to run.

Ive been fitting them for about 3 years and have had no bother with them at all.

They are also very reasonably priced.

I concur these are a very sensible boiler and the best value for money on a good deal at MKM and usually in stock.

There are a number of people who like to dis Baxi group but I am not amongst them.

Also consider for utter reliability the Ideal Classic HE band B based on one of the most reliable boilers of recent times.

When I was Alpha service agent if I had relied on repairing their regular boiler range for a living I would have gone bankrupt, since it never goes wrong.

But the major benefits of the Solo and the Classic is that they only require a call for heat live feed, so can replace an old school regular boiler with very little difficulty.

It is not a matter of the popular at any price boilers not also being a great choice, it is a matter that for ease of install performance and longevity the former are equally great choices. There is no need to pay a premium for a regular boiler.

When considering a combi.. that is a big issue as so many have consequenses.

In the past I did quite well buying boxed unused Alpha CDr;s off ebay when people suddenly realised they really wanted a combi. I could fit these with impunity as they never went wrong. though being the service agent was an insentive it was never called upon.

On ebay combis go at a premium because the world is full of people with combi tinted spectacles. But there is an opposite effect of people changing their minds about fitting a regular boiler.

Sadly new price from the merchants regular boilers are a rip off cpmpared to a combi.

Sadly new price from the merchants regular boilers are a rip off cpmpared to a combi.

it is amazing how much they rip you off. the less they put in the case the more they charge :eek:

the last heat-only was a viessmann compact ...nothing to do with the name customer wanted 5 year warranty.

believe they got a newer version that can do weather compensation in s-plan.

it is amazing how much they rip you off. the less they put in the case the more they charge :eek:

the last heat-only was a viessmann compact ...nothing to do with the name customer wanted 5 year warranty.

believe they got a newer version that can do weather compensation in s-plan.

3 or 4 years ago the regular boiler was cheapest. But if you wanted to make a sealed system it was cheaper to fit a system boiler, although some of us prefered to whip our backs and make our lives hard ading the external system kit. With hindsight that was a mugs game..

have a look at Vaillant Ecotec 418 it is able to be fitted to an open vented system.
i have fitted several and had no problems.it also means you are not pressurising an old system that will probably leak if you do.

Thanks for all the feedback. At least I now have a shortlist to go at and get some prices etc.............

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back