Heat only boiler replacement

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys.
My first post here after spending lot of time reading related ones.

I am looking to replace my heat only boiler later this year.
The current boiler is a floor standing Ideal Concord 50Cxi located in the cellar level of the house.
It is connected to an open vented S-plan system.
Hot water tank is 250L stainless steel vented
There are 3 showers (and 1 bath which is not used)
The house is 4500 sq foot Edwardian detached over three floors (excluding cellar)
No zoning of radiators. Most except hall and bathrooms fitted with TRVs.
The radiator heat demand for the house is 42KW
Single programmable thermostat 907 Honeywell for whole house
Heat loss is an issue with solid concrete walls and several large windows with stained glass which have secondary glazing panels on them.
4 people living in house

From what I understand the current boiler is a commercial unit.
Would it be best to go for similar specification new boiler or a pair of smaller domestic boilers?

I understand that heating a house like this will never be cheap.
Reliability, efficiency and ease of servicing / repair are priorities.

Sponsored Links
As already asked what is wrong with your existing boiler, they are decent boilers and totally serviceable

My view aswell good boiler still get plenty of parts for them just keep it serviced and the ch system clean with a good dose of inhibitor in it should go on for a good while yet.I don't understand why people feel the need to change boilers willy nilly makes no sense and is expensive.Bob

Sponsored Links
Thanks for replies.

Agree that parts are available and it is serviceable provided right person looks at it.
It failed in October when pilot light went out.
First time I had experienced being without heating for days.....temp in house got down to 14 degrees.
Got the necessary parts within a day and it was repaired eventually without fuss.

Bit hit and miss with the Plumbers / Gas engineers....first 2 guys (from different companies) just restarted pilot and left, only for it to go out within hour.

3rd time lucky as the Engineer who was recommended by neighbour has commercial rating and was familiar with these boilers.
He dismantled it in couple of minutes and showed me the fractured gas pipe to pilot light.

Its been running well since repair but I was thinking in the long term to have something that may be more efficient.

have something that may be more efficient.
A new boiler will probably use less gas, but it would be 10-20-never years before the massive cost of a new boiler was covered - assuming a new boiler lasts that long.

If you want to improve the system, spend the money on better controls and multiple zones. Far less outlay, and much better results.

If you want to improve the system, spend the money on better controls and multiple zones. Far less outlay, and much better results.

Cheers flameport.

Looked into it today and pipework will allow for 2nd zone valve to upstairs heating.....no extra pipes needed.
That will help with heating downstairs only when no one is upstairs and vice versa.
As you rightly said, outlay for that is miniscule compared to new boiler.
The old Concord might still have a few years left yet....

I am looking to replace my heat only boiler later this year.
The current boiler is a floor standing Ideal Concord 50Cxi located in the cellar level of the house.
One thing you need to factor in is .....where is the condensate going to discharge to, from a new boiler;)

Good controls, zoned and serviced regularly ( a proper service, burners out cleaned , heat exchanger well cleaned ).

I'd keep it as long as I could ! Not only that but if the flue isn't lined and it isn't an external chimney put your hand on it higher up in the house and you should feel it's warm ! So the heat you'd think is lost is actually warming up the fabric of the house.

Plus the airflow in to the cellar and subsequently up the flue is probably keeping the cellar free from damp !!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back