Heat only boiler v combi boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm sure this question has been asked before on the forum.

I have an old gas fired boiler (probably been in for 15-20 years). This currently serves an open vented heating system and an old 120 litre copper cylinder.

I am looking to replace the existing boiler with an A rated condensing boiler. The question is, do I replace the existing boiler with a heat only boiler, and keep the existing tanks and HW cylinder... or do I completly remove the open vented system and get a combination boiler??

The house is quite large 4 bed., however there is only one bathroom and a shower.

Any comments would be appreciated, thanks.

Sponsored Links
It depends a bit on your wants and needs.
Personally, I find open vent tanks with dead insects and rodents in it utterly disgusting, and would never have one.
That would leave either a combi, or a heat only with unvented cylinder.
The latter would come to about double the price of a combi, if you want it done properly.

You can fit a combi to supply water to kitchen and utility room and retain HW cylinder for HW for sanitary drawoffs. This way you have hot water when boiler goes belly up.

What make and model is present boiler?

System fittings may not be able to contain higher operational pressure.

System as it exists will have to be spotless or you will have problems. A draindown is NOT a system cleanse neither is chemical cleanse and no system flush until chemicals are removed.

Unvented with solar panels as far as I am concerned, is unbeatable.

Sponsored Links
I'm a late convert but I ditched my cylinder about two years ago and put in a big combi. My bills have gone down by £4-600 pa.

I'd go with a combi everytime now. Wouldn't have said that a number of years ago when hiflow models were rare and reliability was an issue. Now people know how to clean systems properly and manufacturers can make high flow reliable appliances its a no brainer. If your concerned about back up then there's always something like a glowworm ultrapower which has immersion back up, although because this has a store you will use a little extra gas to keep this warm. Still much more efficient than a seperate cylinder though.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back