Heat only boilers

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, Please could someone receommend reliable, economical, low emmission brand HE 28 kilowatt system floor boiler. Or reliable and economical, low emmission mounted heat only boiler.

Also any comments on Main range boilers. Are they good and fit the above spec in reliablity, economical to run and low emmissions..

Which are the good brands ie, Vaillant, Worcester, Potterton, Glow worm, Baxi etc. which fit above criteria including ease of use and installation. Need help. Thanks :cry:

Sponsored Links
main are good
they made by baxi`s
but are made low quantiy so you get bit better qual
rest i would say vaillant or wocester are equaly good but cost

If it's open vent we would use Worcester 30CDi conventional for wall mounted, Worcester FS30CDi floor mounted.

If it's wall mounted system, Vaillant ecoTEC630.

Viessmann make a good 26Kw open vent (WB1B).

Selected Worcester installers are getting 6yr warranties at the moment.

If you ask for boiler recommendations here you will get a few viewpoints. My key issues are build quality and manufacturer backup. Most installers want the same as their customers, a quiet life.

Forget about which boiler is best, as long as you don't get a totally hopeless heap like Ideal, the quality of the installer is far more important.
Search the forum, must be 1000 posts about this subject.

Sponsored Links
Hi again

Thanks for the replies to my earlier post.

Still in a quandry, a bit of background info: - We had a potterton floor HE boiler for 20 + years and never broke down!!!!

But the boiler has been condemmed and disconnected :cry:

I'm a girl who has no idea about boilers. I went to the Which site and they recommeded Glo Worm. Which Quote:

"Its rare that we find a heat-only boiler that is good enough to recommend, but the Glow-worm Ultracom 24 hxi ticks all the boxes for efficiency, low emissions and ease of installation, servicing and use.

It performed really well in our tests and has a Sedbuk efficiency rating of 88.9% - anything over 90% is extremely good. We were also impressed by it low emissions of the polluting gases NOx, low power use and low heating-loses from the casing. It can also be converted to run on LPG"

Are glow worm good but we do need a 28 which this is not so we need to look elsewhere?

Are they any good. Our plumber /installer recommeded Man which My mother and I had no idea what they are about?????? Are they good, earlier replies to my post said low quantity but are they reliable and economical to run because we all need to reduce our heating bills!! I know I sound like a pain but we are really novices in this buying a boiler business. Any tips about recommeded HE 28 kilowatt boiler wall or floor mounted boiler. Also ease of use is very important and servicing maintance

Valliant seem good but so expensive, is it worth the extra cost. What about Pottertons now, are they ok? and Which advised on GLo Worm or is this a load of rubbish. Worcester have a good rep We have a semi detached 3 bed house with loft conversion and 2 receptions and extension so we need a strong boiler. This house has loft insulation but no wall insulation so can get quite cold

We have no heating and thank God we have an emerson for hot water or we would be completely lost and its not winter. Thank God for small mercies. All replies are appreciated and so helpful.

Please drop a reply to help 2 old gals out really driving me craxy like miss bloody Daisy :D

First, I am an engineer rather than a plumber, so I cannot answer your question about boiler makes. I just want to point out that not all A-rated boilers designs are as efficient as they might be.

The SEBUK ratings suggest that 90% 'seasonal' nett efficiency is good. However, some boilers are achieving up to 108% nett efficiency. You should ask, how can efficiency be more than 100%? The nett efficiency is calculated for non-condensing flue gasses. All condensing boilers can extract extra energy from condensing the water vapour in the flue gas, but only with water temperatures much lower than 55°C. Some more advanced boilers use Lambda control to reduce the amount of air consumed (and heated) by the boiler. (Petrol cars have been doing the same for decades to reduce emissions.)

Unlike condensing savings, which rely on low water temperature to condense water vapour in flue gas, Lambda control will give savings (about 10%) at all temperatures. Condensing savings are improved by automatic water temperature adjustment (e.g. weather compensation). The 108% efficiency is only achieved with Lambda control and very low water temperature (for under-floor heating).

With a large house, you should also considered a boiler with separate temperature controls for domestic hot water (DHW) and central heating. DHW must be heated above 60°C by law to prevent Lengionair's disease. Without separate temperature controls, the boiler cannot condense much water vapour and will be inefficient.

See http://www.viessmann.com/com/en/products/Gas-fired_condensing_boilers/Vitodens_200-W.html

Forget about which boiler is best, what you need to do is find a good installer and put your faith in him.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back