Getting a FAIR 'fixed price' quote for a ~£100k extension

In my times prices didn't go up as fast as mow, but it still happened.
I always gave fixed quotes to customers, valid for 30 days and factored in a mark up on material (diesel and time).
Frankly I can't see a 100k project getting the builder on a loss because of material price hike.
Any builder would mark up the material by 10-20% (some even more), and the price is not going up by that much in 30 days.

Exactly -the simplest model. Fixed price, built-in risk pot to handle any possible margin erosion. Works for most people most of the time. Get's trickier if the time between quote and completion is very long and there are e.g. some very high priced materials in the build. The risk of price fluctuation (and maybe exchange rate variation) is much higher. The risks are higher. Either the risk pot has to get bigger or you offset the risks to the client. It's whatever works and whatever the contract ultimately says.

Sponsored Links
If that's aimed at my comment
Not at all. The thread in general.
The very idea that in these times someone actually believes that any builder anywhere is going to absorb any of the increase in material costs.
No wonder people end up on watchdog ,when you get customers with such ridiculous expectations.

Get a fixed price for labour , and order the materials and get invoices on the builders account or open your own trade accounts.

The thing is, prices have jumped and are no longer rising to any significant degree. :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
@woody could you possibly give us all a recommendation for your crystal ball supplier, mine isn't that good...:p:p:LOL:

Who advised you that it was £100k of extension? Surely that person can build it for you....

@woody could you possibly give us all a recommendation for your crystal ball supplier, mine isn't that good...:p:p:LOL:
No, find your own. :cautious:

Whilst there may be incremental slight fluctuations, as there always may be, almost all the massive material price hikes have already occurred due to the various mainly covid related issues.

The only other thing to watch out for are the high energy dependant processes now that Ukraine has kicked off and the volatile gas market, but no-one can say how that will pan out.

The thing is, prices have jumped and are no longer rising to any significant degree. :rolleyes:

I am using 8 x 4 18mm OSB 3 board as my material's cost barometer.

Bought a load of it in early 2020 for £20 a sheet. Last November it was £50 per sheet. Now back down to only £37 ...bargain!

I am using 8 x 4 18mm OSB 3 board as my material's cost barometer.

Bought a load of it in early 2020 for £20 a sheet. Last November it was £50 per sheet. Now back down to only £37 ...bargain!
Since the beginning of the pandemic and the various price hikes I've been involved with several long term contracts, and non of the contractors has had to ask for uplifts to contractual rates.

Since the beginning of the pandemic and the various price hikes I've been involved with several long term contracts, and non of the contractors has had to ask for uplifts to contractual rates.
How do you think they manage it then Woody? Pre-orders, better trade prices, high mark-ups on their jobs, downgrade the specs, another? :?:

How do you think they manage it then Woody? Pre-orders, better trade prices, high mark-ups on their jobs, downgrade the specs, another? :?:
We were notified of their problems, and expected claims for excess costs (the contracts do allow for certain unforeseen costs and events to be claimed) but in the end, the margins, savings, working smarter, or better rates from other works meant that the costs could be absorbed. Whether this meant reduced profits I don't know, but it certainly did not mean losses or breaking even.

And TBH. that's what all contractors do, they allow for cost fluctuations in their pricings, and if a contract is used, there are normally provisions for excess unforeseen costs to be dealt with.

In the Op's case, as mentioned by cdbe earlier, they will simply price a £100k job at say £120k to allow for the risk. Just like loan companies charge higher interest for riskier customers.

But what I see with lots of small builders nowadays, is that they don't know how to price, or don't want to price to allow for risks. All builders are in demand, they can pick and choose what they want to do and so want the customer to burden all the risk.

You can be damn sure that builders wont rebate customers when they make "too much" profit. They want it both ways - easy work, no risk and lots of profit, and the way the market is they can get it.

A for the customer buying materials, that is a massive risk for the customer. Breakages (lack of care by the builder) warranties, defects, late deliveries, wrong deliveries, missing parts you name it, again you can be damn sure that the builder will want the customer to pay for anything related to anything that is not quite right with material orders. So again, no risk for the builder but more profits to be had.

No, find your own. :cautious:

Whilst there may be incremental slight fluctuations, as there always may be, almost all the massive material price hikes have already occurred due to the various mainly covid related issues.

The only other thing to watch out for are the high energy dependant processes now that Ukraine has kicked off and the volatile gas market, but no-one can say how that will pan out.
so a bit of a pointless post really .you went full circle.

Thanks for people's answers.
I think some people have mis-interpreted my question, but..

Someone asked 'how do I know the extension will cost ~£100k.
Well, two different builders told me last year that - without costing it up properly - they expected it to cost in the region of £95k (for one of them) and £110k (for the other).

If I've understood things correctly, the main choice seems to be between:

- asking for strict 'fixed price quotes', in which case sensible builders will - quite reasonably - build in extra costs for possible material cost increases. [because they are bearing the risk] OR
- agree to fixed labour costs, and purchase the materials as needed. The biggest problem with this is that (some) builders might not then care about wastage or breakages etc.

Thanks, Ezio

If I've understood things correctly, the main choice seems to be between:

No, you've missed out the no.1 choice - talk about it with the builder first and make sure you are all on the same page. The wording of the contract is only important when things go wrong. If everyone is happy, the contract stays in the drawer.

The biggest problem with this is that (some) builders might not then care about wastage or breakages etc.
Or, as I have witnessed, make the owner order double the material and take away all the extra for the next job.
For a large project, go with a fully comprehensive fixed price.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back