Getting a fixing into plasterboard above a window

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've been trying to get a fixing above a window . I assumed they're always lintels. This seemed to be just plasterboard. When peered in the hole it just seemed like endless plasterboard. How do you get a good fixing into this for a curtain rail?

The hole in the top middle of window got wider and wider. Couldn't get anything to stay strong.

How do you work out the thickness of plasterboard so to use the fixings in the link? I think a differentcsuze is suitable for a different depth of plasterboard .
20200116_180118.jpg
20200116_184044.jpg
20200116_173252.jpg

I tried using the fixings in link

https://www.toolstation.com/fischer...Tuz_1W8apckroNHm81GpHdgJ5VnM_hy4aAl6KEALw_wcB

Sponsored Links
The fixing in link are only suitable for hollow plasterboard and need to be set with a tool or diy method before they hold.A timber baton glued across the top of reveal with a good quality adhesive would make mounting rail much easier.

What I did in this situation was to fix into the horizontal timber batten behind the bottom of the plasterboard, just above the recess -it does make the fixing points a bit low. Another option might be to look for the vertical battens to fix to behind the plasterboard, using a strong magnet.

What I did in this situation was to fix into the horizontal timber batten behind the bottom of the plasterboard, just above the recess -it does make the fixing points a bit low. Another option might be to look for the vertical battens to fix to behind the plasterboard, using a strong magnet.
There may not be any timber behind.

Sponsored Links

I couldn't find any screws with magnets

The fixing in link are only suitable for hollow plasterboard and need to be set with a tool or diy method before they hold.A timber baton glued across the top of reveal with a good quality adhesive would make mounting rail much easier.

Think you're right. I spoke to a blind fitter he said drill in 2mm smaller than the plug you'll use , so if 8mm duo plug drill 6mm then hammer in. 7mm brown plug drill 5mm.

He also mentioned baton. What size baton would you use? I guess use no nails and try to get fixings in as well . I guess lintel is right at back above window.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back