1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Getting a new shed. When to call in the electrician?

Discussion in 'Electrics UK' started by z0mbi3, 7 Mar 2021.

1. z0mbi3

z0mbi3

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Hi all,

I'm getting a new shed in a couple of weeks. This shed will be used as an amateur DIY workshop with a couple of tools but most of them are battery operated/wireless anyway. One of the few that isn't battery operated is a wet/dry shopvac. I don't imagine more than 2 tools being in operation at the same time (expect when used in conjunction with the shopvac). I guess one ceiling light should also be considered!
    Anyway, given that the guys coming in to assemble the shed are a couple of weeks away, I've started thinking about my options for power in the shed. What I want to know is when should I get the electrician coming in... should it be before the shed is stood up or is this something that can easily be done afterwards?
    I'm guessing it is a two part job: one before the shed is there so that electrical cabling goes underground and then, after the shed is done, getting the cables inside and installed...

Also, given there will be cabling being stretched to the outbuilding, might make sense to include an ethernet cable so I can have wired internet there (only a couple years to go until we get internet connected mitre saws! but we're there already for IP Security Cams)...
    Am I thinking too much into this?

Cheers!

2. Sponsored Links
  3. cross thread

cross thread

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Put a service duct in with a couple of drawstring then you can pull cables through after

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. bernardgreen

bernardgreen

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Put in TWO ducts, one for mains and the other one for non mains cable such as data, phone, alarm etc etc

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. z0mbi3

z0mbi3

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    OK, so that means I can put up the ducts and then just call in the electrician when the workshop is up... thanks :)

6. JohnW2

JohnW2

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    To be 'safe', it would probably be best to speak to the electrician first, just to make sure that they were happy about the type of ducting to be used and its method of installation (depth etc.).

Kind Regards, John

• Like Like x 1
  7. Tigercubrider

Tigercubrider

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    But check with the electrician about depth or what he wants. Possibly take phone pictures of the cable duct in progress. So the electrician can see what's been done.

Are you building a slab for the shed or using bearers?

8. z0mbi3

z0mbi3

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    As I'm replacing a smaller shed (that is currently in a slab base) with a bigger one, I will have the whole of the new shed on bearers but 1ft of the new shed will be sitting in posts (that will be held with postcrete).

9. Sponsored Links