shed electrics

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
im doing away with our electric shower this would leave me with a spare trip in the electric box can i use this to power my shed with the suitable cable i be using 2 .5 on a ring in the shed or would it be better to wire it into our existing ring main i need thr shed there's a freezer small tumbler dryer and most of my tools are battery operated so need to charge them
for light i was going to fit a 3 a spur for one 4 ft tube

Sponsored Links
Part P of the Building Regulations are very clear about what you can do yourself regarding home electrics.

I suggest building regs and/or an electrician. I don't think it'll go well if you're asking for advice on cable sizes etc..

Part P of the Building Regulations are very clear about what you can do yourself regarding home electrics.

Oh, do you think so?

PartP.jpg

Sponsored Links
To basics, you need to protect cable so it can't melt, cable has different capacity according to location, size and type, but rule of thumb is 2.5 mm² is good for around 20 to 25 amp, a shower using electric for instant heating would need between 32 and 45 amp.

So an ex-shower supply can't be used to feed 2.5 mm² cables. It may well work, but it will not work safely.

As to Part P I find the lack of definitions makes it hard to say exactly what you can do, one in England needs to define a new circuit, to my mind removing all that fitted into a consumer unit slot and replacing it with new is a new circuit, not a modification of an old one, but it would be for the courts to decide, and personally I would not want to fight a test case.

In Wales it would involve work outside, so it would need registering, however although you may get away without registering, Part P also refers to following the requirements of BS7671 or similar, so you still need to generate a paper trail, and do all the inspecting and testing etc.

Last edited:
As to Part P I find the lack of definitions makes it hard to say exactly what you can do, one in England needs to define a new circuit, to my mind removing all that fitted into a consumer unit slot and replacing it with new is a new circuit, not a modification of an old one, but it would be for the courts to decide, and personally I would not want to fight a test case.
It doesn't seem like anyone will ever have to.

In Wales it would involve work outside, so it would need registering, however although you may get away without registering,
Do you mean 'notifying'; not 'registering'?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back