Getting a radio out of a Bora

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Its a 2001 TDi Bora and I'm trying to get the old and what I assume is the original radio out so I can put a new one in.

Anyone know how to pull it out?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Earlier radios had four small holes, two each side of the radio, bend a couple of lengths of wire coat hanger into 'U' shapes and push the ends into the holes, the radio should then just pull out.

For later radios you need two 'T' shaped pieces of flat metal, these slide down either side of the radio to release it. You really need the originals as they are not so easy to make.

Peter

Cut a credit card into 2 strips that will fit in these highlighted slots, with a wiggle or 2 the radio should come out!

stereo.jpg

Sponsored Links
Seconded! :p
If I recall, its not a good idea to replace VAG sound systems with other products as the supply voltages are different - but I'd need to ask someone with a brain to clarify that one.
John :)

Seconded! :p
If I recall, its not a good idea to replace VAG sound systems with other products as the supply voltages are different - but I'd need to ask someone with a brain to clarify that one.

Supply voltages should be the same as any car but the live & switched live are reversed on VAG I think, just have to swap the wires around maybe :)

I'm sure you're correct, but something makes me think that there is a 5v issue somewhere....., and connecting an after market set gooses things up. Can't remember!

I'm new to the world of computer controlled cars, I have a 406 Hdi but recently purchased, very cheaply a diesel C5 estate, among the faults that made it cheap was the fact that the battery would go flat in two days in not used.

I connected an ammeter in series with the battery when parked and found that the current drain varied from 150 ma to 1 amp in a regular pattern over a period of about a minute, after a lot of enquiring and head scratching I found the problem was being caused by the aftermarket Blaupunkt radio that had been fitted, it was sending spurious pulses to the ECU and waking it up once a minute.

Stuff of science fiction? would have been a few years ago, didn't even have problems like that on TVs :confused:

Peter

Peter, this Maplins tool measures current drain up to 20A and plugs straight into a car fuse box.......N48CY.
For the man who has everything :D

most aftermarket stereos wont provide the power for the aerial amplifier on some vw models and a harness adapter is required

I'm sure you're correct, but something makes me think that there is a 5v issue somewhere....., and connecting an after market set gooses things up. Can't remember!

There is likely to be a 5V comm line somewhere on the plug to the CCM as VW units learn their radio code from that.

Its its a Goodmans radio to go in.

Surely the likes of Halfords will stock a suitable adaptor harness?

Thanks for the tips on how to get the old out by the way folks.

Halfrauds will sell you the proper removal keys for VW radios of this vintage (or obtain from EBay).
Same deal with an adapter harness, and for the aerial you'll need an adapter that supplies power for the inbuilt amp (not sure if its actually an amp, but you need one apparently).

The trouble with replacing the stock radio with an aftermarket one comes when someone plugs a diagnostics machine into the car's OBD port. In a nutshell, some radio adapter harnesses will short one of the OBD pins to +12v which can blow the diagnostic machine and thus upset your mechanic quite a lot.

It's fairly easily rectified with a pair of wire cutters.

Full details here - http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/aftermarket-radio.html

Interesting information in that link. I recently bought a C5 diesel estate for very little money partly because it was running the battery flat in two days, I checked the battery drain and noticed it was going from 150ma to 1 amp and back about every 60 seconds, I had no idea where to look but someone on the french car forum suggested looking for any after market devices that had been fitted

The problem was being caused by a Blaupunkt radio , about once a minute it was sending a spurious signal to the ECU which was switching it on and draining the battery. I disconnected it and problem cured, I now have to cut some leads to connect it up again.

Peter

Sponsored Links
Back