Getting a shiny paint finish

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Not actually a car but quite related.

Re-spraying a bike frame for my Grandson, and cleaned and rubbed it down today and then gave it a coat of Car Plan grey primer and then a nice bright red gloss paint and when that was all dry a coat of lacquer. But it's as flat as a pancake, no shine at all. All proper car paints bought today from car spares shop so should be right for steel bike frame

As I was spraying it it was all nice and shiney but not once it's dry.

So what am I doing wrong please?

Sponsored Links
The clearcoat should have given you a shine, more details an the type of paint, probably water based? Any moisture in the air as you were spraying?

Household oil based paint and clear will give best results. Thin with a little white spirits for a shine.

Been out in the garage this morning, hung the bike frame from the rafters and made a little tent round it with dust sheets and pointed the gas heater at it for ten minutes then had another go at spraying the lacquer. And it's excellent. I let the first coat dry for five mins then gave it another one just to get the bits I'd missed and it really is very good. Almost a feshnul finish. Really nice high gloss.

Just what I wanted

So a pint to you all on me

In fact I'm so chuffed when you've finished that one, have another.

Sponsored Links
Back