Getting access under gas meter

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My gas meter's outside on the ground, surrounded by a brown plastic box.

I need to replace the slabs it's sitting on, and dig down about 6" near it (to solve a damp problem) but the meter's kind of in the way to get to where the digging work needs to be (all bunched up in a corner by the external wall).

1. Can I get any gas fitter to temporarily remove the meter and cap the pipes (say for 24 hrs)?

2. My supplier keeps banging on about changing/upgrading my meter. How long does this take? Do they cap the pipe as part of the process (ie would I have time to get in and do the work I need to do as part of the meter swap?)

3. Any other suggestions to solve this? I got a quote from my supplier for moving the meter back 1 ft away from my house, and it was £500+. :-/

Sponsored Links
A Gassafe engineer with meter qualifications on his/her card will be able to tackle that job. I won't go into exact details as they should know how to do it safely and also to reconnect.

Brown box this is a semi concealed and should not actually be sitting on slabs it should be half buired in the ground.

Sponsored Links
Ah yes, went out to check tonight and it is indeed slightly below the slabs (they're cut around the meter but fit under the walls of the box).

I noticed all my neighbours meters are wall mounted (same sort of location, just on the wall).

Would a Gassafe engineer be qualified to move the meter too if I chose to?

the inlet side needs to be moved by teh supplier as it needs to be isloated in the street, if you want the meter on the wall like the neighbours you will need to get a new meter as they are different from the semi concealed ones and agin needs to be fitted by the supplier

Right, I've taken a couple of photos of the box/meter. Got a couple more questions.

1. I noticed the meter is connected to both the mains and my house via two bendy pipes. If I get a Gassafe guy to take the meter off, when they put it back could it be moved back (away from the wall) a good 10-20cm without any issues? (assuming the bendy pipes reach)

As you can see, my problem is the box is too close to the house (about 8-10cm). There's damp in the wall, and I think to solve it I need to create a 20cm trench/dry area.

2. Do you think there was any negligence on the part of whichever company fitted the meter in such a position? (long shot, I know)

2r7y907.jpg

2ljq93o.jpg

The meter box can't be moved as the valve with the red lever on it (the ECV) is connected to the incoming gas pipe through the bottom of the meter box. If you moved it away this pipe would be too long and would need cutting back by your supplier, and in any case you'd need to do a fair amount of digging to expose it all the way down to the bottom of the bend. The 'bendy pipes' have no bearing on where the meter box is located as the box is supplied complete with their locations being immovable within the box.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with the location of the box, if anything it should be a bit closer to the house but certainly not any further away. The only fault I'd pick up if I was doing an inspection is that there is no earth bonding on the outlet side.

Thanks for advice muggles.

I know you say there's nothing wrong with the location, but I really need that dry area/trench right under where it currently sits, so I think my only option is to get it wall mounted.

In reality I suppose it's the fault of whoever paved right up to the external wall, neat though it does look.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back