getting an apprentice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Does anyone know a website where lads put themselves up to be apprentice's?? I am in SW London and looking for one.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
they don't want to work now days means getting up early and getting theirs mits dirty.

Dont forget to upgrade your insurance ( whats that? ).

Mine wanted an extra £325 to cover an unpaid trainee for the odd weeks!

Tony

How much would you normally expect to pay for a young lad then Agile.

Sponsored Links
hmmm, not to sure i would upgrade the insurance!

as i'm a sole trader, ideally i'm looking to get in somebody over the summer holidays and see how it works for me. i did my apprentiship with a sole trader and realise it can be difficult for the employer. e.g apprentice making jobs take longer sometimes!! days that you are only doing servicing etc and there not really needed.

Personally i would be checking mates and family out at least then you may get an idea of what sort of lad your getting

never had much positive experiance of apprentices recently so we stop getting them

lazy bunch of rude wotsits who you cant sack

give me an older chap/chappette much more serious about getting on

dilemma is i can get a school leaver and wouldn't have to shell out too much money. i only actually need someone when i'm installing a heating system and it's double handed work. if for instance i get someone in there 20's i have to pay out more. on days where im not making that much money!!

and what do people think apprentices should be getting paid? when i was at college (finished 2 years ago) there wasd a huge difference in what some of the boys were earning.

I've had 5 people ask me over the years: 2 never even showed up. 2 came along a couple of times (literally) and lost interest. Number 5 got told straight away I didn't see much hope for him, as it was his mum calling on his behalf. :rolleyes: Didn't get the impression he was highly motivated.

yeah im sure there will be some bad ones out there, but must be some good ones too. did you guys do your training with a large company or a sole
trader?

Even if he is an unpaid trainee then you do neeed the insurance upgraded otherwise you are not covered if he floods Lady Watsit's kensington pad.

Nor are you covered if you tell him not to touch anything while you go to the washroom and then he tests the chainsaw on his foot!

Its very time consuming having trainees. I only take adults and because I am so selective I can say that I have had some very good ones, some of which post on here. Those who telephone, if they cannot speak reasonably understandably, have no chance.

Tony

As a sole trader I had an apprentice for 7 months. NEVER again :rolleyes:

IMHO a one man band cannot afford or give time to an apprentice.

My PL insurance doubled. They tend to charge for a sole trader then the next category is up to 5 employees.

I have been really lucky with apprentices. But then I make it hard for them to get here in the first place. There are loads of well motivated young men out there. The thing is to get someone who has already worked, preferably in a really ****e job. When you get one you have to work at them. They are here to learn and not to be cheap labour. It is a balance.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back