Getting back on the tools...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Not really sure where this should have been posted so opted for this forum!

Joiner by trade for over 20 years but when construction took a hit back in '08 I also took a hit and found it almost impossible to get back on to a site unless it was through an agency, which was sporadic but fine, that was until my little one made an appearance. From then I needed full time permanent work and ended up in a factory knocking up timber frames. The work is ok if repetitive, but the wage is poor especially for the amount of work that goes in.

I'm now toying(some may say procrastinating) with the idea of going fully self employed as opposed to subbying, but I'm quite apprehensive about how work will pick up. I do know that it won't be 5 days a week to start with so am thinking about starting with weekends and seeing what comes of that.

One thing I'm not very good at is pricing up work as being a subby all that was already done. As I will be starting out with no cash(Only a pug 106 and my tools) I'm thinking that an hourly rate or day rate labour only would be best to start off with, then build up some cash to be able to start to supply and fit, but I also need a van, working out of a small car is absolutely no good(unless labour only).

Any help, advice, tips etc would be greatly appreciated.

Ps, also posted on another site and had some good advice, but no harm broadening my search for advice :)

Sponsored Links
You don't sound ready to be self-employed. The money you are on now might not be great but it is regular I think you should bide your time and wait until the market (and rates) really picks up again, for example construction sites. Then start subbying for somebody, or go through agencies again and gradually build up contacts and get a feel for the market.

Thanks, but staying put isn't the kind of advice I was looking for, I'm currently running a house and keeping my family on £250 a week so really need to get back on the tools, hence why I am wanting to start at the weekends.

I would suggest that a couple of adverts in local free papers for fitting kitchens, hanging doors etc. Many people will be happy for you to work weekends as they do not have to have time of work, and some builders merchants will deliver for free if you keep a clean account, and invest in roof bars for your car for short lengths of timber or a door. But make sure you keep simple accounts in case the tax man calls.

Sponsored Links
Advertise locally, and work nights and weekends.

Start by having some cards printed and stick these in newsagents windows and through people doors. Advertise in your local paper, church magazine, make a website and go from there.

Also don't worry about only telling customers that you can only work on the weekend, this will be due to you being fully booked! ;)

The next thing to do is buy a van and get it signwritten. Free advertising!!

And now comes the best bit, when you have no work but have a van and it's all signed up. Go to you local b and Q and park it out side of their exit from the shop. All the diyers will see your advert when leaving the building.

Hopefully the phone will start ringing.

Andy

A joiner for over 20 years, but you don't know how to price up? Surly you know how long you take to do jobs and have access to trade prices for stock?

What am i missing?

Open a trade account at a merchant, that is a 5 to 10k access to stock easy, stick a used van on a credit card or from savings/ISAs/shares etc and away you go.

A joiner for over 20 years, but you don't know how to price up? Surly you know how long you take to do jobs and have access to trade prices for stock?

What am i missing?

Open a trade account at a merchant, that is a 5 to 10k access to stock easy, stick a used van on a credit card or from savings/ISAs/shares etc and away you go.

If you read my third paragraph you'll see what you're missing. I've been a site joiner so prices were already sorted (or were bulk prices as was the case house bashing, and they are different to a fully self employed tradesman working 100% for him/herself).

Take another look at my third paragraph

Right, but any merchant will take you on after verifying you, thus you then have access to trade pricing.

Bid for jobs and contract other joiners as you see fit.

Being a carpenter or joiner isn't really enough in my opinion, it's best to be jack of all trades or handyman if you can which will widen your work. I'm popular because I can do general building work and I always do more than what my clients ask for. My last job was fence panels then I offer to cut the grass! I would carry on with your job and do private job whenever you can until you're confident of going it alone

I can fully sympathise with the situation. I was an employed carpenter/joiner for thirty years until redundancy came along. All the pricing and buying was done by the office staff and we just concentrated on the physical side of the operation. We would visit merchants for the smaller purchases but often as not even the price wasn't shown on the tickets.
I'm now self employed and like masona I tend more towards handyman work nowadays. Last week I put a laminate floor down but also fitted new kitchen taps whilist I was there. I do fencing, painting , gardening and clearances as well.
I've only been at it a year and perhaps the money is less than when I was employed but it is a better lifestyle as I travel less and work when it fits me. It probably helps that we are totally debt free , have a property rented out and grow a lot of our own food so are less dependant on having to earn a high wage.

Where are you based in yorkshire ?

If you are on £250 a week then i would price your labour at £80 a day. Still on more than your current £50 day rate. Work part time on weekend and focus on building up a portfolio of contacts. These contacts will be your future employers and investing in this is the way to be successful in the future.

Price low at first to get the contacts built up and then start to increase the day rate.

Sponsored Links
Back