getting cold water to my outhouse

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I’m getting a garage-come-workshop built at the moment and would like to run a cold water pipe from the house to the building. I have plans in the future to convert part of the garage to have a toilet and washing machine, but for now I’m just going to plumb in a sink. I’ve plumbed in sinks, baths, loos and washing machines before, so I feel like I can deal with it once the pipes are in place, but I’m not sure what is the best way of getting water from the house to the garage.

The building is 25 metres from the house at the bottom of the garden. I have a few daft questions someone might be able to answer…
• Will I need to bury the 25 odd metres of pipe between the house and the garage? If so, how deep and what material is best to use?
• Should the waste pipe also be buried? Any tips on installing?

That’s all for now, really.

Thanking you kindly

Andy

Sponsored Links
building regs in this area say a min of 750mm deep to prevent any chance of the pipe freezing.
go to your local building merchant and just ask for 25mm blue water pipe and they will give you the right stuff.not sure what you mean about the waste pipe??.if its from a sink,w/machine etc it will need to go into a proper foul water drain

a continious length of 25mm MDPE laying in trench at 750mm will be ideal............make sure to bring into the garage rather then have any exposed on the outside wall where it enters the building

The drainage is going to be alot more tricky specially as you having toilet,you need to find the soil pipe and have look to see if you have the fall to connect a new branch

Make sure whilst you have your trench dug out to work out all your waste electrical and mains water sorted .

Dont want to have to dig it again,think it through plan and then go for it

:) :)

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the encouragement! :D

Your advice has made me think of a couple more questions...

When you say

"Make sure whilst you have your trench dug out to work out all your waste electrical and mains water sorted .

Dont want to have to dig it again,think it through plan and then go for it"

...does that mean that I can run the electric armoured cable down the same trench as the water pipe? Do they have to be separated at all?

Also, is it a really BAD idea to lay a path over the trench? I'm thinking yes...

[/quote]

Sorry I have been super busy,yes I would run the SWA cable down the trench and anything else needs to go in there

Absolutely no problems having path etc over the trench,just imagine how many pipes and cables you are walking over every day without ever thinking about it

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back