Getting gas installed to our house - National Grid

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello!

I was wondering if anyone could advise or has had the same experience as we're having at the moment.

We in the middle of building an extension and loft conversion. We don't have any central heating in the house, so *since April* we've been trying to get the gas mains installed. Since that moment I feel like I've been trapped in an admin nightmare.

After wading through a ton of nonsense all year, our problem now comes down to the National Grid not wanting scaffolding on site, which I understand is a Health and Safety issue. But my builder has just told me that the part of the building the gas is going to (kitchen extension that extends about 3m from the main house) won't be scaffolded, only the rest of the house. So they won't be working under it all.

I called the National Grid today to double check if that would be workable. The guy told me that they don't really like any scaffolding anywhere on site at all....but that "we should just let them come and they can decide on the day whether they want to do it". But, that's insane because they 'might' charge a call out fine if they decide they don't want to do it. He said he'd get a surveyor to call me, but can't say when.

I'm baffled, all of this started because they wouldn't send a site surveyor unless I booked and paid for the job prematurely. I've spent the whole year trying to work with their system, but it was basically set up so that I was doomed to fail from day one. Although the people are friendly and try to be helpful, the information I get is painfully inaccurate, slow, and vague and they NEVER call back when they say they will. My phone bill is astronomical from calling the 0870 number.

I so badly just want it to be over and done with, that I'm tempted to leave the current booking in and let them come and decide, but I literally can't afford a fine, there is no money left in the coffers.

Has anyone here got any real-life experience of working with the National Grid, and whether it is just them covering their backs? and as long as there's no danger or H&S risks in the specific area are they're digging, would they just get on and do it?

It's so stressful and upsetting, and winter looms with very limited means of heating the house - which is a gaping building site :(

Any practical, constructive advice or insights would be so appreciated...

Thanks[/i]

Sponsored Links
Although I have never dealt with BG I have had issues with other utility companies .. If it was me I would have them to come out but first of all make sure that the work area is safe to work in beforehand ... but also have your builder onsite to remove/relocate any obstacles that can hold the job up...... you will probably find the guys who turn up to do the job will be helpful once you get around the company red tape

Thank you :) that's what we were contemplating. I'm going to ring on Monday and check there's definitely no fine for doing that (on the paperwork they say they will, on the phone call they say they won't!)

Also thanks for the the URL - it's awesome, but I've noticed that some of my long list of building related 0870/0845 etc replacement numbers don't work. :/ Still we take what we can get.

Thanks for the reply, it's is such a stress living amongst a building site and learning as we go, that any helpful words of support go a veeery long way :)

Sponsored Links
Also thanks for the the URL - it's awesome, but I've noticed that some of my long list of building related 0870/0845 etc replacement numbers don't work. :/ Still we take what we can get.

sometimes you have to be crafty
get a number within the company or group then they will transfer you

in most companies new sales are free or within your call package so try that route ;)

As for 0870 I always try to.find a local rate number, they usually have a main desk or a "calling from overseas?" number, these will be normal price.

I use National Grid move my gas mains, they were a nightmare to deal with and yes it's insane that you have to pay in advance for the whole job before they even send a surveyor...
I payed out for the cheapest possible job and the surveyor didn't up the cost, good stuff.

When the chaps turn.up to do the work they are normal enough and as long as you great them with a smile and a cuppa they'll just crack on.
(Although they were stupid enough to start hitting my mains water.pipe with the spade saying "whats this", my reply was "thats my mains water pipe at 3bar, it's lead, stop hitting it you berk.").

BG are worse, trying to get a new meter off them was insane, firstly they didn't understand why I didn't like a meter that was older than me, then 3 missed appointments later (grr!) a bloke turned up, took it to his van, fitted a new clock on it and gave it a quick pray paint...

Awesome - I'm so glad I posted my worries up here. It's been a real help. So basically my plan is to call National Grid on Monday, double check on the *recorded* phone call that I won't be charged if they decide not to do the work.

If they say no, then I'm going to leave the appointment there and see what happens on the day. Fact is, if they don't charge the fine, they'll only cancel the job and refund the money anyways. As it is, so far everyone says the guys that do the work are pretty nice chaps. I'm much happier dealing with real people who are going to do the actual work, and I'm *very* good at hot drinks and biscuits!

Fingers crossed we'll get there eventually without losing any toes to frost bite ;)

Thanks for all the valuable hints and tips!

BG are worse, trying to get a new meter off them was insane, firstly they didn't understand why I didn't like a meter that was older than me, then 3 missed appointments later (grr!) a bloke turned up, took it to his van, fitted a new clock on it and gave it a quick pray paint...
We've been having meter fun as well :
//www.diynot.com/forums/plumbing/gas-meter-failed-replacement-too-big.373879/

Awesome - I'm so glad I posted my worries up here. It's been a real help. So basically my plan is to call National Grid on Monday, double check on the *recorded* phone call that I won't be charged if they decide not to do the work.
WellI rather suspect that if someone pushed it, any court would declare their policy to be in breach of the Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts Regulations. It's can't be reasonable to have a complete monopoly on supply, and charge people should they decide not to have a job done for which you won't give them a price before they've put down money.

Or more likely, I suspect that if anyone stood their ground, it would be resolved in the customer's favour before getting to court. BG just couldn't afford to have a court ruling making it's current policy unlawful.

@simonH2

oof, sounds like a pain!

Yes, I've been thinking about it, and once we're on the other side of this, I will definitely be writing a letter to National Grid and anyone (if there is anyone) who regulates them. Because however you look at it the system is flawed, and there's no competitor to drive them in line.

The stuff I mentioned here is just the last few weeks' shenanigans, this has been going on since Feb, during which time we've had every other type of stuff up possible, including workmen turning up to do work that had been cancelled 2 months previously. They were totally unsurprised, and said it happens all the time.

Meanwhile, they're sitting on the better part of £700 I paid them for the pleasure of achieving *nothing* but a very cold winter and a lot of stress headaches.

I can't get my head round how anyone gets anything done. I feel like it's pure luck if you manage to get basic utilities to your property without tearing your hair out in the process.

I'm realistic, if this is the only hiccup we get along the way of the build, we'll be doing well. But in the meanwhile I'm going to start flexing my "letter of complaint" muscles, because this could've been easily avoided if the website or call centre had better information resources.

I *really* hope that when the guys turn up on the 4th, they're comfortable with the site if we make sure it's as clear and easy as possible...I just need everything to be ready for the plumber when he's ready to start his part of the work...

NG do not have a monopoly, there is even a link on their site for you to provide details and they will pass them onto other approved contractors.
Funnily enough I never heard from anyone though...

I Did follow that up early on, and looooong after I contacted them I had a reply.

Since then my other half has followed up, and it's still the National grid who do the work because they own the pipes, you're just hiring another agent/contractor to do it through....

That's as far as I'm aware so far anyway. If there's an alternative I'd be interested to hear for sure. I plan to do some research tomo....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back