Getting more pressure out of my shower system

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I recently put a new bathroom in. I didnt really mess about with the plumbing (just installed bath/shower etc. to old fittings) but after this the hot water has dropped in the bath/basin and mixer shower.
I couldnt figure out how to fix it so got the plumbers around and they have said that it is not easily fixable due to the fact it is a gravity fed/warm air heating unit.
They said they could remove the warm air heating and install a combi/boiler central heating but with a wedding coming up I cant afford that for a good while.
They said I could put a shower pump in but would be about £300 for them and another £300 for the electrician.
I am wondering if a standard electric shower would improve the shower flow at least. I am confident I could connect the water as would just be closing off the old hot water pipe and connecting it to the cold but dont think would feel confident wiring it in.
Would an electric shower improve the water flow and if so any ideas on how big a job getting it wired in would be (would I have to take off all my new tiles)?
Thanks for any help. Is much appreciated. :D

Sponsored Links
When you bought the shower (mixer?), did you check that it was suitable for you situation - ie. gravity feed? Did you check the minimum operating requirement (measured in Bar/metres of head) of the shower fitting and make sure that your supplies weren't below the required figures?

If you are disappointed with the shower output that you have now, you may be equally unimpressed with the performance of electric showers. Even high Kw models give showers that are hardly Niagara in the flow from them.

The pump is your best bet. Or, if you have sufficient cold main pressure and flow, you could save up for an unvented hot water cylinder. This would give greatly increased pressure and flow to all hot outlets.

Another alternative is a Trevi Boost shower. If you can get a mains cold supply to the shower mixer, the Trevi uses a venturi that utilises the power of the cold flow to boost the hot flow.

http://www.h-i-e.co.uk/Trevi-Boost-...With-Idealrain-M1-Shower-Kit-A5699AA-832.html

The unit was designed for low pressure gravity fed systems so was surprised at its lack of pressure.
Sounds like an electric shower would probably be an expensive waste of money.
Leaves me with either the pump or the trevi shower you have detailed. By the looks of it I could install it and I would t need an electrician so would be a cheaper option. It sounds too good to be true. Have you had any experience of them?
Thanks for your reply :)

The unit was designed for low pressure gravity fed systems so was surprised at its lack of pressure.
Sounds like an electric shower would probably be an expensive waste of money.
Leaves me with either the pump or the trevi shower you have detailed. By the looks of it I could install it and I would t need an electrician so would be a cheaper option. It sounds too good to be true. Have you had any experience of them?

No idea if this would help but I saw this a while ago when I was looking in to the low power solutions.

http://www.showerpowerbooster.co.uk/

Sponsored Links
Thanks for that. Much appreciated
I have never seen them before but look quite easy to install.
Will have a look into both these items and have a ponder

I've fitted a couple, and the do provide a good boost to the hot flow. Only problem I found is that sometimes the flow can drop off after a while due to limescale, but a quick service of the valve restores performance.

So if you are in a hard water area, you should consider this. Probably better to go the pumped route if you are.

I've fitted a couple, and the do provide a good boost to the hot flow. Only problem I found is that sometimes the flow can drop off after a while due to limescale, but a quick service of the valve restores performance.

So if you are in a hard water area, you should consider this. Probably better to go the pumped route if you are.

What about a mini booster and Combimate combo? I'm in a 290(on the scale) rating for some of the hardest water going... We've not descaled out kettle since May last year..... Combimate gets my rating on that alone! Without it it's fully scaled up and needs de-scaling within about a week. otherwise it takes ages longer to boil.

Big pumps generally noisy buggers. Fiancee's parents have one and my parents and they are horrible things. That mini one looks like a silent solution :) Just my 10C. I'd never put a big shower pump in anywhere personally. Unvented, mini pump, or if in high water pressure area, electric with a combimate to prevent scale.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back