Getting power company to install new supply..

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
If I want to put a new supply in a barn (its a long way from any other buildings with power by the way!) what do I need to present the electricity board with for them to do it?

Do they require an installation certificate for any installations?

Would they come and put in their meter, cutout etc and just leave the tails in neutraul links ready for me to do the installation work afterwards?

Thanks..

Sponsored Links
IIRC (its been a long time) it goes something like this:-

You fill in an application form for a supply.They come out to investigate/price up.Once agreed they will put in the supply cable up to the cut-out.In the mean time the electrical installation can be carried out.
When ready the DNO require a completion cert.If they are happy then a meter will be fitted and the install energised.
With Part P of the Building Regulations in force now the LABC will also need to be informed/involved.

Id be sat down when you read the quote, If you DNO is anything like the DNO in cheshire......

Sponsored Links
As its not in a shed and not a domestic dwelling (part P exempt) would I be able to sign off a completion certificate of some kind even tho I am not NICEIC or any other organisation certified.

Basically, I am an electrician but this would be a private job for my own customer, obviously I dont want my employer to find out...!

Its OK regarding the cost, its my uncle who would be paying - and hes got pots of cash!!!

As long as your DNO is happy with your cert (and I cant see why they wouldn't be), then I cant see a problem

Are there any licensing authoritys for farms? they might have requirments about memberships people signing EICs should have?, eg. you might resonably expect such things for rented houseing, public houses, etc

The DNO do not require a bs7671 completion certificate, they give you one of their certificates to complete - whih requires no test results.

However, you should still be testing and certing your install!

Id be sat down when you read the quote, If you DNO is anything like the DNO in cheshire......

Your DNO will be.

All the DNOs changed their connection charge policies in 2005 with a jump in charges.

Thanks for your replys! So at the end of the day its all down to my signature on the form for the DNO to connect?

There wouldnt be a problem if I just put up a consumer unit with no circuits, and then get them to connect up would there as it would be nice to have power there to do the installation work.

Cheers!

Just install a 4 pole isolator and get them to connect their supply to that.

Then you can tail your new CU into the isolator when you are good and ready.

why four pole (unless the supply is going to be three phase but this doesn't sound like it)

I'm not sure where I got the idea it was a TP supply from.

A DP switch will be fine for a single phase supply

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back