Getting quotes for a house you want to buy.

Sponsored Links
£3k on the solicitors would include the stamp duty, unless you're using really extortionate solicitors, we used BPL in Dorchester for the last sale and paid £345.60p now we are paying £2362.80p for our next purchase which includes stamp duty at £1,800.

I would not recommend them but will probably use them again myself, one guy I would recommend for mortgages is http://www.yelp.co.uk/biz/lowries-independent-mortgage-advice-llantwit-major, we've dealt with him a few times now and like his attitude. Not to smarmy.

I would not recommend them but will probably use them again myself, one guy I would recommend for mortgages is http://www.yelp.co.uk/biz/lowries-independent-mortgage-advice-llantwit-major, we've dealt with him a few times now and like his attitude. Not to smarmy.

That is so weird! We used Mark Lowrie for our very first mortgage back in 2004. What a coincidence. Yes he was great. Real on the level bloke.

Our present mortgage is supposed to be portable but we'll need to sit down and discuss the whole venture with our lender. Even though it's portable we'd still need to re-apply from scratch :confused: Strange that!

That is so weird! We used Mark Lowrie for our very first mortgage back in 2004. What a coincidence. Yes he was great. Real on the level bloke.

Our present mortgage is supposed to be portable but we'll need to sit down and discuss the whole venture with our lender. Even though it's portable we'd still need to re-apply from scratch :confused: Strange that!

That's what Mrs Pred thinks of him, he's not like a shark, I was speaking to him earlier because we are in the process of porting the mortgage. They did want a bigger deposit though.

Sponsored Links
I reckon allow £30k to be on the safe side, allow three months to renovate, so if you are going to let it out there is no income till all the work is done, how much are you paying and how much is it worth done up and how much rental will it fetch.

There is a house come on the market around the corner from me for £250k, it's been refurbished as far as I know, one sold a few doors up recently, they had it on for £280k and refused my offer of £250k, so it's a good price, the rental according to Zoopla is £1200pcm so these figures add up.

Can I just ask - You reckon it will cost 30K to rerender the walls and fix the gutters on this house??

Or do you mean 30K to redecorate all the rooms and install new electrics, plumbing and tidy up each room?

I reckon allow £30k to be on the safe side, allow three months to renovate, so if you are going to let it out there is no income till all the work is done, how much are you paying and how much is it worth done up and how much rental will it fetch.

There is a house come on the market around the corner from me for £250k, it's been refurbished as far as I know, one sold a few doors up recently, they had it on for £280k and refused my offer of £250k, so it's a good price, the rental according to Zoopla is £1200pcm so these figures add up.

Can I just ask - You reckon it will cost 30K to rerender the walls and fix the gutters on this house??

Or do you mean 30K to redecorate all the rooms and install new electrics, plumbing and tidy up each room?

Worst case scenario, strip the walls, rewire, plumbing and C.H. bathroom kitchen replaster, I reckon £30k will cover it.

Worst case scenario, strip the walls, rewire, plumbing and C.H. bathroom kitchen replaster, I reckon £30k will cover it.

Will that 30K basically cover everything - like replaster in and out of house, paint and decorate, fit kitchen and bathroom and new boiler etc?

If so then that is actually very reasonable given the size of the house

DeludedAussie";p="2794012 said:
Will that 30K basically cover everything - like replaster in and out of house, paint and decorate, fit kitchen and bathroom and new boiler etc?

I was just expecting the outside and inside walls to be done Aussie and maybe the electrics fixed and floorboards too, not have a complete new kitchen, bathroom and boiler fitted as well! That sort of thing is cosmetic and down to personal choice. A kitchen alone can cost you 30k if you have expensive taste!

amandaclegg";p="2794061 said:

I was just expecting the outside and inside walls to be done Aussie and maybe the electrics fixed and floorboards too, not have a complete new kitchen, bathroom and boiler fitted as well! That sort of thing is cosmetic and down to personal choice. A kitchen alone can cost you 30k if you have expensive taste!

Rendering outside walls and plaster inside of house for 30K???

I would have budgeted 5K!!! - Where is the other 25K going?>

The house is 100yrs old, IF it needs dragging into the 21st century with electrics, plumbing, central heating, timber and damp a budget bathroom and kitchen then I reckon £30k as the worst case scenario.

If you're going to hack off the old plaster then that is the ideal time for a rewire, get the plasterer to do his worst before the second fix (ask any sparky their worst nightmare, spreads that don't remove sockets and switches) Every 1930s house I've bought has had only one or two sockets on the 1st floor maybe two in the kitchen and a couple screwed to the skirting board in the two reception rooms, when I'm finished there are half a dozen or so in the kitchen, four in the two reception rooms one in the hallway, one on the landing four in the main bedrooms and five in the small bedroom, sorry computer room. If the ceilings are coming down you don't have to lift the floorboards in the bedrooms to run cables and C.H. pipes.

Rendering outside walls and plaster inside of house for 30K???

I would have budgeted 5K!!! - Where is the other 25K going?>

Did you look at the pictures Aussie? It's a detached house and annex. The inside and outsides need completely stripping and re-rendering and plastering :eek:

What sort of house is it and when was it built?

This is it:

It's detached, approx 100 years old. It comes with an annex at the back.

And here is the state of the inside due to the wrong render...

]
Not sure about "wrong " render - has it been coated with one of those "Lasts a lifetime" sprayed on plastic coatings :mad: . The windows are naff too :cry: Basically you`ve got a 100 year old mass of damp brickwork hidden by a skin of c-rap : When it`s all removed in and out ( you then have to insulate to a modern standard because you`ve removed so much plaster AFAIK ) and address any other wood related problems caused by the damp - Me personally , I wouldn`t want it if it was an inheritance :cry: BUT if you look around the web you`ll find lots of info on Heritage Buildings and breathing render etc. Good Luck anyways. ;)

Not sure about "wrong " render - has it been coated with one of those "Lasts a lifetime" sprayed on plastic coatings :mad: . The windows are naff too :cry: Basically you`ve got a 100 year old mass of damp brickwork hidden by a skin of c-rap : When it`s all removed in and out ( you then have to insulate to a modern standard because you`ve removed so much plaster AFAIK ) and address any other wood related problems caused by the damp - Me personally , I wouldn`t want it if it was an inheritance :cry: BUT if you look around the web you`ll find lots of info on Heritage Buildings and breathing render etc. Good Luck anyways. ;)

Cheers Nige. It's actually sandstone. I did ask whether it was a sand and cement render as I read that lime should be used on sandstone. It's also cracked everywhere so all indications are pointing to the render being to blame, but they still haven't replied to my email with my 3 dozen or so questions! Yeah, windows are double glazing, not my fave style :unsure:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back