getting render/backing plaster level and flat

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just wondering how you ensure a flat level surface when rendering a wall?

I've searched and one recommendation is to use laths that are fixed temporarily to wall and using them to level off with a straight edge between them.

Im pretty sure I've never seen a pro do it like this - so what technique do u employ to get a nice even level flat backing coat/render.

Can't find any video demos.

Sponsored Links
The only way to get a straight, flat, level surface with render or plaster is to use a straight edge, spirit level and a string line, to set up "dots" to create "screeds", and work from them. Pro's have done it that way for as long as.
You can coat a wall with plaster/render freehand, then use a darby or straight-edge on it, but that's all it is, freehand, not plumb nor level.
Setting up dots and screeds gives you a far better chance of accuracy, and for a pro plasterer, doing it that way is second nature. I wouldn't do it any other way, and it also gives a finished wall that is straight, plumb and flat.

Thanks roughcaster.

If you have time (and inclination) could you explain the process of setting up the dots and screeds? Your quite welcome to tell me to jog on of course, but I'd really appreciate your time.

Cheers

Will

cancel that roughcaster - ive searched the net using the terms plumb dot and screed and found loads of info

massive thanks again

will

Sponsored Links
Have a look in my albums under "Dabbing walls" ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back