Getting rewire signed off??

My partner is not a DIY'er he has done the relevant course and has knowledge from previous jobs and courses. We have spent nearly £3,000 on training and testing equipment. All works have been carried out in accordance with BS 7671.

When my partner originally contacted Building Control, to tell them he was going to do the rewire, he was told "if I have to come and inspect your work then you are not qualified to do the work" when in fact he is!!! I came on this site to ask for help as now we find ourselves unable to issue an Installation Cert. The guy I bought the house from is the one who should be strung up from the nearest tree with HIS DIY dodgy electrics!! :evil:

Thanks again for the positive comments, there are some nice people left in the world :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Issuing an Electrical Installation Certificate is part of complying with BS7671, if your partner is working to BS7671 then the relevent paperwork must be provided. I posted links to these model forms on the previous page, you don't have to be a member of a competent person scheme to issue these certificates. It is part and parcel of working to BS7671. No EIC = not to BS7671.

Thanks Spark123, I have downloaded the forms and he has found them really useful, my last comment was aimed at the "negative nigels"!! Your advice is both constructive and useful, thanks again :D

Sponsored Links
The fact is that your partner can issue "Electrical Installation Certificates" identical to the model forms in the back of the wiring regs book, you can also find then on the IET's (formerly IEE) website.

The position you have found yourselves in is that you cannot get a building regs completion certificate for the work. In this case if you are in a hurry to get a completion cert I would send a copy of your completed EIC and a letter saying that the work is completed and ready for inspection to your LABC. When they get it and find that they have no record of prior notification on record they will get in touch with you; at this point you could claim that you sent it in and it must have got mislaid in the post, at which point they will probably tell you to send another form and payment in and go from there.....doing work without prior notification is illegal, however millions of pieces of mail go missing every year!!

The moral of this story is always pre-notify or use someone who can self notify!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back