Getting rewire signed off??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
HI,

My partner has got Part P and has fully rewired a house that we are renovating to sell. He has tested the whole circuit with Kewtech testing kit and all is good. However, he has not yet registered with NICEIC and so is unable to issue an Installation Certificate, we understand that we could get a Periodic done.

Can anyone please advise us the best way to get the rewire ok'ed to enable us to sell the house.

Many thanks ;)

Sponsored Links
What does 'got part p' refer to here as this is an approved document?
I assume if he is at least aware of part p that he notified it to building control before starting the rewire?

He has got Part P cert, he didnt notify building control before, he has spoken to them now and they are not interested as it has been done!

Any 'competant' person can and should issue an Electrical Installation Certificate if they have carried out major electrical works.

Sponsored Links
Silly question, (he is at work at mo) does his Part P (domestic Installer) class him as competant or does he have to register with NIC etc first.

we want to make sure we have relevant certs before putting house on market,

thanks for your help

hi, Part is a building regs document. Your husband hasnt got part p, no one as. Possible he might have done a course at college telling him the rules of part p. To be able to notify the council that the rewire as be done after doing the work he must be registered with one of the schemes NIC, ECA, NAPIT or ELESCA. If not he needed to have notified the council 48hrs before starting work and paid the relevant fee to them. Then they check at first fix and test on second. This changes between the different council. Hope this helps. shouldnt have done the work by the sound of it not without notifying first.

just my 2 cents worth on the part P matter...

I don't recall there being a general letter sent to every household in britain telling them that the purpouse and scope of Part P, in fact, as far as I know it's the electrical sector that was informed of the changes..

so how can they say it is designed to stop these DIY bandits ( no offence meant ) that can't even wire a plug from doing dangerous things to their houses..

if Joe DIY doesn't know he needs to notify the council before putting new sockets in his kitchen then he'll do it anyway..

the people that know they have to tell the council or sign up to a £600 a year boys club are the ones that are competent enough to not have to..

I'm assuming he did the DISQ course? 5-days?

Some councils will accept a number of qualifications as proof of competence. So give them another ring, explain that the house was re-wired by a recently 'qualified' electrician who has yet to be accepted to a self-cert scheme and see what they say. Some councils just want as little hassle as possible and will accept his say so and sign it off.

He should still fill out an electrical installation certificate, just don't use the NICEIC's forms. There are examples in BS7671 (which he should already have).

ricicle said:
Any 'competant' person can and should issue an Electrical Installation Certificate if they have carried out major electrical works.
To add to this, anyone working to BS7671 (aka The IEE regs) must issue the relevent certification for their work. Failure to do so means that their work does not comply with BS7671.
Everyone can use the model forms http://www.iee.org/Publish/WireRegs/Forms_2004.pdf

davy_owen_88 said:
I'm assuming he did the DISQ course? 5-days?

He should still fill out an electrical installation certificate, just don't use the NICEIC's forms. There are examples in BS7671 (which he should already have).

The DISQ (and EAL2) are basic courses, brought in to satisfy the minimum qualification requirement for membership to a self-certifying, Competent Persons Scheme.

If your partner did not have this explained to him on the course, then either he wasn't paying attention or he might want to consider asking for his money back - a fundamental piece of knowledge for consideration when determining 'competence' must be the understanding of what regulations apply and how to comply with them.

'Qualified' or not, unless he is assessed by and enrolled onto a Competent Persons Scheme the only correct route is the prior submision of a building notice. He has actually already broken the law already.

As to certificates, there is nothing to stop him using NICEIC green certs, which carry no logo. But, if he doesn't know that he must issue an installation certificate in accordance with BS 7671 then he is automatically in breach of both the regulations and outside the definition of competence as described in regulation 16 of EAWR 1989.

Hi guys,

Thanks for all your comments, nice and not so helpful :cry: .

He did do he course, he has all the correct testing equipment and all the Reg books, all work has been carried out to the required regulations, he isn't a cowboy "havago" guy, the reason we did the rewire is because when we came to sell the house, the cowboy before had left the electrics in a lethal state, we found junction boxes behind the plaster, shower cable that ran unprotected externally cable clipped (or not to the wall) in reach of kids, bare cable 2mm behind filler and cables running diagonally with not nearby sockets!! the socket in my little boys room had 1 screw in and the white cap put over screw hole so I couldnt tell, to mention just a few problems.

We did the rewire as we have a conscience and couldnt sell it knowing someone could have been seriously hurt. We do accept that building control should have been informed first, hind sight is a great thing, thanks to all the guys that have given us constructive help to help us get out of this nightmare,

thanks again Lorna ;)

I'm with you lornaloo,........there's loads of dodgy wiring jobs done by people in the trade and just 'cos you aint a qualified sparky don't mean you're going to do a dodgy job. If you research well enough, understand electricity and follow the reg's people shouldn't have a go.
I hate the phrase but....... it's not rocket science.....though it does do some wierd 5h!t sometimes!
Anyone know how many fires are started by diy leccy work?

ColJack said:
if Joe DIY doesn't know he needs to notify the council before putting new sockets in his kitchen then he'll do it anyway..
quote]

Quite so. The objective of part P was to get rid of the cowboys. Only they will get caught (eventually) when a householder complains about their bad work. No one's going to complain about a DIYer, who should not admit to doing anything illegal in his own home.

;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back