Getting right floorboards to replace

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
HI,

I want to replace about 4 floorboards. I have measured them and they seem to all vary in size, which was a surprise - by as much as 3mm in width and 2mm in depth.

The average seems to be 167mm wide and 17mm deep. Not sure the wood type, but it seems the typical floorboards I see in any old house.

What should I be looking for when ordering floorboards as I am assuming they come in standard width/depth that might not be same measurements?

cheers
M.

Sponsored Links
your local wood yard will supply 7x1 par timber 21x 170mm

timber from the sheds bxq wicks ect will be 18x 169 ish

most timber yards can give you exactly what you want by machining the larger size down :D

noclue - old house = imperial sized boards so you will not get exact metric matches. If the floorboards will be seen consider lifting the required number from another room (like a bedroom which might be carpeted) as they are likely to match then put the new stuff down where they'll be out of sight. Source some old boards from a reclamation yard or by new stuff which is oversize and get the timberyard to reduce them to your sizes; all good yards will do this. You'll also find that their stock is better quality and often better value than the stuff the sheds knock-out.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back