Getting started. Floor and fire

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone, just bought my first house this July with my girlfriend, and am just getting started with some DIY improvements on our new home. The vendor only had the place for 6 months and basically did a quick job of patching it up- new windows, new boiler, bit of plasterboard and wallpaper throughout. We knew there'd be work to do, but the to do list seems to be getting longer by the day and it's just starting to get a bit overwhelming!

Anyway, first job is the living room. As soon as we moved in we noticed that a woodworm infestation our survey had said was inactive was very much alive, and pulling up a few floorboards revealed why the woodworm were thriving- the whole floor was rotten- some of the joists crumbled away to nothing when touched. A month after moving in pretty much everything near ground level in that room was covered is mold, so clearly it's pretty damp in there. The wallpaper came off easily and revealed a fair bit of black mold behind it so that all needs to come off too. Seems there are plenty of sources for the moisture- ground level behind the property is about 1.5metres above interior floor level, all air vents blocked, with dusty rubble filling much of the cavity beneath the floorboards, there was also apparently a large hole to the front of the property allowing water to seep in, filled in by the previous owner. Along with the fact that they've replaced the windows and done some patching up on the external walls hopefully it's all just a combination of those factors (by all accounts the house has also spent a lot of time unoccupied over the years).

I'm thinking the best thing to do right now will be to pull up the entire floor and start taking damp readings regularly to see if there's water obviously coming in from anywhere, and in the meantime installing a solid fuel stove in the fireplace I've just opened up. Hopefully with the aid of a dehumidifier everything will start drying out and then if there's no evidence of ongoing water ingress I can lay a new floor.

I'm sure it's pretty clear by now that I'm a complete novice at this, so I'd be really grateful for any general feedback, and pointers on important aspects I may be likely to overlook. For now though, I have a couple of questions:

Should I be paying to get a trustworthy damp expert (ie- not one of those free ones trying to sell something) in straight away rather than risking missing a serious problem due to my inexperience?

And secondly, does the following idea make sense?- (this one's about the stove and I might be better off starting a new topic somewhere else?) We're in a smokeless zone so will be looking to buy a DEFRA exempt wood burning stove. Initially wanted to install a boiler stove to heat our water/CH, but it seems any DEFRA exempt solid fuel boiler stoves are pretty expensive, but also we have a combi boiler as opposed to an open vent system, so setting that up would be pretty complicated/costly too. So for now I'm thinking of going for a cheap stove and installing it straight into the chimney (after smoke testing first to make sure it's all safe), no liners for now- then if it seems like it's up to the job of keeping most of the house warm I can go ahead and fit a liner at a later date, or if we're still spending loads on the central heating I'll at least have the option of installing solid fuel central heating knowing I didn't waste hundreds on a liner we only used for a few months.

Really appreciate it if any of you actually took the time to muddle through all of that!

Sponsored Links
Hi everyone, just bought my first house this July with my girlfriend, and am just getting started with some DIY improvements on our new home. The vendor only had the place for 6 months and basically did a quick job of patching it up- new windows, new boiler, bit of plasterboard and wallpaper throughout. We knew there'd be work to do, but the to do list seems to be getting longer by the day and it's just starting to get a bit overwhelming!
I know exactly how you feel, I got my keys on the 22nd July and have just spent this evening repairing another leak in the CH loop, after a lunch hour of phoning rounf roofers as its ****ing in through the valley, where again the preious owner wasa bodger artist and a good one at that! Ive not even looked at opening out my fireplace yet but Im thinking multifuel stove venting stright into the chimmey is my plan.

How old is the house, what is the construction of the wall. Is there a damp proof coarse, cavity, retaining wall at the rear?

Daniel

Hi Daniel, thanks for the reply. That's a coincidence, we got our keys on 22nd July too. Hope you don't have too much trouble sorting the roof. We also recently discovered we have water coming in at the valley, and has been for many years apparently, still need to get someone in to have a look at that!

Since my original post we've had a damp+timber expert in, who has advised me on the living room. It's a 150-200yr old stone/rubble construction house, retaining wall at rear, and slightly below ground level at the front, so has damp coming in from all directions. Been advised to lay membranes on walls and floor, so right now I'm in the process of clearing everything out in preparation for that. Bit of a hiccup yesterday discovering that the wall doesn't appear to have any foundations and actually only starts about 6 inches above the floor, sitting on soft limestone bedrock, but with no signs of movement we're probably just going to cover it up for now and hope for the best.

Recently the stove has dropped a few places down the to do list. Looking into the HETAS regulations I'm thinking when the time comes we might be better off just getting someone in to install the stove and sign it off, otherwise we'd probably end up having more trouble than it's worth if we try to sell the house a few years down the line. Ideally to save money I'd like someone HETAS registered to come round, advise me on the install and then sign it off for me, but I'm guessing it won't be as straightforward as that.

Would be interested to hear how it goes when you get round to opening up your chimney/installing a stove.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back