Getting Struct Calcs is difficult

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What are these SE thinking because something i am doing is putting them off quoting.

I need calcs to use 4 oak purlins to hold up my new roof extension.

I have spoken on the phone to 5 engineers and then i sent an email giving more detail. Only one seemed interested in doing the calcs and gave me a price. He was £200. Another guy said £125 plus VAT on the phone but hasn't got back to me.

I didn't set out to get 5 quotes by the way, but have had to keep trying to get someone to come back to me.

It seems very weird. It is a job which doesn't really need a site visit.

Any pointers on how to approach these people. I am also thinking times must be very busy out there.

Sponsored Links
Well why don't you go with the one who quoted £200? It's not that much for what's involved.

It's going to be the only option i suppose, but just don't understand why other engineers are not interested. Maybe they have a minimum amount per job they want to work to. A bit like a plumber changing a washer - its too small a job.

£200 to a busy engineer is hardly worth bothering with, busy SE's down here would take a week or three to return a quote and longer again to do the calcs.

Sponsored Links
It certainly can be frustrating and embarrassing too for those of us who appoint SE's on behalf of clients.

Try www.beamcalculation.co.uk

I've no connection, it's not a recommendation, but might be an option.

They also have a sister site for professionals to use based on Eurocodes - which might allow for more slender sections.

Ho ho, and today i got a reply from the engineer who is nearest to me in location terms and he is ok on price (£180 inc vat).

So he is going to do it for me this week.

Planning visit next week !!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back