Retrospective approval for re-roof.

Yes, definitely over worrying. Treat it as a repair and don't even mention it as building work on the property information. If any prospective buyer is that bothered it will come up in their survey. The TA6 actually asks:

Have any of the following changes been made to the whole
or any part of the property (including the garden)?
(a) Building works (e.g. extension, loft or garage
conversion, removal of internal walls). If Yes, please
give details including dates of all work undertaken:
(b) Change of use (e.g. from an offi ce to a residence)
(c) Installation of replacement windows, roof windows,
roof lights, glazed doors since 1 April 2002
(d) Addition of a conservatory
As a roof replacement for maintenance doesn't fit neatly in to any of those questions you can justify saying "no" to them all.

We recently did an extension and I tacked on the re-batten/membrane/slate on the roof. When it came to sign off, the BCO just asked if we'd added any more insulation in the attic. I said yes - he didn't even bother to go and look. Tick.

Sponsored Links
If it’s a repair why the need under building regulations for insulation?

You do not have to sell a home using form TA6 - its a bit more difficult but only a bit, I have bought property based on nothing more than a handshake on a drive. As for filling in TA6...its ok to say I don't know....that's what surveyors, solicitors etc are for. Its all about risk management, no ta6 slightly lower price...but these days that's pretty marginal, a guide is 1k reduction per 75k capital, so a 300k house would have a 4k reduction to cover a no TA6. ..you can always offer to get after the event insurance and its not expensive. We sold a property direct from an auction of a deceased estate...no TA6 as the owner was dead and we could not fill a TA6 in as we had no idea what was the property history. Upshot paid £270 for some after the event indemnity insurance to cover some paper issues..no BC on an extension as highlighted by the buyers survey..everybody happy.

We have found filling in a TA6 and just being honest with the solicter is the best way...Had the roof done, what should I put, after all they can frame it so a murderer gets off, a house sale is just a price negotiation.

If it’s a repair why the need under building regulations for insulation?
TBH, I don't think it is/was needed. In my case, the application was going in anyway, and I tagged it on, but could prob just have left it off as the BCO wasn't interested.

Sponsored Links
Just sell the house. If the buyer's solicitors ask then tell them it's not been approved. We had similar with a house we bought that had a non-approved loft conversion (that we already knew about). The seller just paid about £100 for some probably worthless liability insurance, job done.

When I sold the house I was asked if any windows had been replaced (yes), and whether the fitters were approved (no, it was me). Nothing said, no issues, all went ahead smoothly.

Jump over the hurdles when they're in front of you, don't worry about them until you meet them.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back