Getting the zanussi belt on. Grrr.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Well I am stuck. The distance between the belt edge when around the drum and fully extended, toward where it needs to be on the motor spindle is 5 cm. It seems an unbridgeable gap.

I know it should be tight and I have done it on other machines by putting it on the spindle first and then easing it onto the drum with the help of a large flat piece of metal and rotating the drum as I go. Not easy, but achievable.

The old belt seems longer to me even allowing for stretch over the years but I am assured I have the right new belt by the parts suppliers.

Anyone have any ideas/tricks for this? I have tried soaking the belt in hot water but that gets me about 5mm of stretch and no more

Thanks

S

Sponsored Links
I would first of all re confirm that it is the correct belt.Belts do not stretch by large amounts.If it is confirmed to fit your machine the the belt must go on the motor spindle first then locate it as far around the pulley as far as it goes then up to the point were it will go no further place a cable tie around the pulley rim and the belt and pull tight so the cable tie grips the belt at that point to the pulley rim. Slowly rotate the pulley clockwise until the pulley fully mates with belt all around.

Wonderful tip and the belt went on first time!

Unfortunately it came off as easily. After repeated attempts I have to conclude that the bearings have gone and the drum is not parallel to the motor so that the belt is 'driven' off even under hand turning. This seems to be confirmed by noise from the bearings.The old belt must have slipped off and was chewed up, hence the tear break in it

I don't think changing the bearings is economically worth it on a six year old machine.

Ah well, off to Currys!

Thanks

N

Sponsored Links
yes you are correct nine times out of ten belts coming off, are because of worn bearings or worn drum shaft

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back