Getting things in your eye what to do?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just splashed bit of hand sanitizer into my eyes. I filled up bathroom sink then stuck face in and kept my face under the water and blinked a lot. Then kept repeating. Is this the best way when something splashes into your eyes? How about outside? Use a hose pipe fired into eyes? Assuming there's no official HSE eye cleaning machine,what do you do?

Sponsored Links
Stick my head under the sink mixer or shower. And swear like a trouper!:LOL:

In places with chemicals there are eyewash bottles.
If you are alone at home, use a bottle of water, or a running tap.
Run the water gently down your eye, away from the other eye, to avoid contamination.
A602 - First Aid for Eyes.jpg
Given your vocation, a basic first aid course would be highly recommended :)

Last edited:
In places with chemicals there are eyewash bottles.
If you are alone at home, use a bottle of water, or a running tap.
Run the water gently down your eye away from the other eye, to avoid contamination.
View attachment 253920
Given your vocation, a basic first aid course would be highly recommended :)
Running water is better than total emersion into a sink ?

Sponsored Links
Yes, because it’s rinsing, as opposed to just coating it in water. Lots of places have eye wash stations.

Running water is better than total emersion into a sink ?
Yes, soap is effectively a chemical, you want to disperse any chemical that has got into your eye. Immersing your eye is diluting, but not dispersing the chemical.
With soap, the outcome won't be much different, but given a nasty acid, the difference would be immense.

You should always have at least half a dozen sterile saline ampoules in your First Aid kit on the van (you do have a First Aid kit, don't you? - I carry a small First Aid pouch in my pull along as well, and I'm a 3-day First Aider). You use saline to wash out what is in there, however, some chemicals require different approaches (e.g. strong alkalis, where water washing will effectively turn your skin into soap and wash it away - this has maimed or killed people in the past!) - so read the CoSHH (Control of Substances Harmful to Health) sheets when dealing with unfamiliar substances

Also, never blast or direct pressurised water or air into the eyes - they are sensitive organs and damage easily. Water or air under pressure can drive particles further into the eye with potentially dire consequences

Last edited by a moderator:
So lets get this right, you cant even use hand sanitizer without causes a drama!

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

If anyone is feeling depressed, all they have to do is read your posts and they will be thankful that they are not you!

Andy

it’s alcohol right? set fire to your eyeballs to burn it off.
DON’T. I WAS KIDDING.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back