Getting to a Builders Public Liability Insurance Company

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our building has a shop on the bottom with three levels of flats above it.

The shop changed hands and the builders decided to take out the supporting walls without a) sufficient support and b) a building warrant.

This led to things like the windows dropping to squint, obviously cracks and things in the walls, blah de blah.

After much fighting they finally agreed that they caused more than just the cracks and said they would fix them. They sent really, really shoddy tradesmen who are more like vandals with power tools than they are skilled practitioners of a craft.

An example would be that our huge, beautiful wood windows dropped a couple of inches on one side, leaving obvious gaps and breeziness. They agreed to take all the wood off and bring it back to level.
Instead they stuck in a few bits of pine and sawed off the top of the shutters.

Anyway, every bit of work they have done has been shoddy. A lot of it has not been done to the level that was agreed.

Presumably, therefore, this is what their liability insurance is for. How can I get in touch with them to get them to pay for some proper work?

Is there a way to find out the insurance company's name if the builder company won't tell me who it was?

Thanks for any help.

Sponsored Links
It doesn't work like that, if your were to sue the builder and he lost his then his insurance would have to cough up.

If the builder is that bad then they probably don't even have any insurance. Have you informed the council? They should be able to help if the work was done without permission.

I agree... you need to get in touch with the council and take legal action, small claims court is about 70 quid.

Trading standards should be notified and also building control.

I say building control because if the work done is not to scratch then there may be a possibilty of a structual failure.

i aint try to scare you its a worse case thing but it has been known.

Seek help, you'll get no where on your own.

Jason

Sponsored Links
From the sound of it this is beyond small claims limit - speak to a solicitor.

Scottish law and process!!! - you can really give him a shock without incurring much cost!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back